Buddy's Help

Chapter 2

Buddy's Help

{Dylan's POV}

I sighed as I looked out the window at the gray sky. It's five in the morning. And what was I doing? Making dinner, not for me - no I had to worry about that later - but dinner for the elders at the Sunnyvale Retirement Home.

This is mostly how my days start. From five to ten, giving me only seven hours of sleep and sometimes less. But I can still operate through the day.

"Morning Dylan."

"Buddy? What are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep..." He said waving an old fragile hand at the problem. Buddy was like a father to me. He could always tell when something was bothering me and I couldn't escape one of his talks even if I wanted to. The only thing about his talks is that they either make me cry or make me more afraid of my feelings. But I guess that's what dads do. Or best friends. I wouldn't know I've never had either one.

"Well if Mrs. Roberson sees you up you're going to have to get a lecture about getting up out of bed. Again."

"She's a stick in the mud... But I really came over here because I could hear the sigh of yours all the way in Canada!"

"Oh." I said looking down. It's true I haven't been really happy even though I'm going to Kim's sleepover for the first time. It was Zack - he's so annoying that I can't even get him out of my head! So that makes me upset. Which makes him all the more annoying!

"What's wrong?" Buddy asked.

"Well there's this guy at my school that I really hate. And you know I don't hate people. But he just gets on my nerves so much that he's stuck in my head and not in a good way. It's just I don't know how I really feel about him, because I hate him but at the same time I don't want to... You get what I'm saying?"

"Ya, I do actually. When I was younger I had two friends that absolutely hated each other. And one day the rest of the crew and I couldn't take anymore so we tricked them into getting in the same room with each other. It was crazy! We had cameras everywhere! It was a full fight of insults until they hit soft spots. We were about to get them out of there when suddenly they were in each other's arms crying and saying sorry and I think they even kissed. But the point being... that you guys may be complete opposites, but you both have breaking points, and you both know each other's breaking point - it's just a rule of enemies. But what you need to do is talk to this person! You're never going to get anywhere if you don't communicate!"

I sat there for a minute thinking about this. I don't think I could ever start crying with Zack. Much less kiss him. But then again he is kind of hot. Wait ... What am I saying?

"Well Buddy I think you need to go back to sleep. I have to finish making this soup then go head off to the pet shop."

"Eh, you have too much on your plate. Why don't you go be a regular teenager!"

"You know I can't do that..." I sighed helping him walk back to his room.

"It'll get better you know."

"I know."

After I got Buddy back to bed I found a place to cry. There's so much I miss out on. But I have to suck it up and continue on with school and worry about love later. It makes things worse. My "dad" was an amazing example of that.