The Bet That Broke Me: Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

"Please don't let me look horrendous." I crossed two of my fingers as I tossed my outfit neatly to the side. At first glance I didn't notice anything wrong with the bathing suit on me, but the longer I looked the more it became visible. My body looked worse than I realized. My stomach pushed out and my fat arms hung against my side. Fat squeezing out the lining of the bathing suit.

I wanted to cry.

There was no way I would let anyone see me dressed like this, let alone Aiden. I grabbed my sweater on the way out the door, making sure to avoid all mirrors as I made my way outside. The backyard was just as beautiful as the inside of the house. There was a large in-ground pool with a lounge area, the greenest garden I had ever seen, and a beautiful stone fireplace.

I didn't see Aiden until his head popped up out of the water. He hadn't noticed me at first. His dark hair cling to his face as he swiped it back, only showing off his perfect eyes as he did so. His body looked so relaxed in the water. So peaceful. Until he noticed me, "Are you going to get in?"

I pulled at my sweater, trying to get it to cover more skin. "I think I'm going to just sit and watch." It didn't sound like a bad idea.

"Get In."

"Aiden, I'm not comfortable." He gave me an off look before shrugging it off. I was slightly hurt by it but what did I think was going to happen. He didn't care:

"Get In with the sweater on then."

Huh?

"What?"

"If you aren't comfortable then just wear the sweater, you can wear one of my shirts when we get out." I could what? It felt like I was tripping over myself but I was sitting.

"O-Okay."

I took a quick breather before I made my way to the edge of the pool.

"Are you going to get in?"

"Give me a second Aiden." I was becoming more feisty with him and honestly, I couldn't tell if he liked it or not. He never gave me a cold look when I said anything, only when we were both annoyed with each other; but that was okay because when he wasn't looking I'd give him the most childish look I could muster.

In fact I just used the face now. Luckily, his head went under the water before he could see me scrunching my face up with my tongue pointed out at him.

I took this time to lower myself into the pool. The water was warmer than I thought it would be. My body stayed positioned against the wall until Aiden led me to the center of the pool.

Neither of us spoke as our bodies floated against one another, occasionally brushing our legs together. It was awkward. Too awkward, so I did something to break the ice. I splashed him. I splashed Aiden Parker.

And he laughed.

And let me tell you it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard.

I don't know if it was his smile or laugh that made me want to grab his face and kiss the life out of him, but I did.

He was surprised at first because he didn't kiss me back. And when he didn't I prepared to pull away until his arms snaked around my waist, his hand slipping under my sweater. I wanted to move his hand but I was too caught up in the kiss to care.

He pulled back every few seconds; "You." "Are" "Something" Ali." His voice was so low as he spoke, but I still heard it. I didn't give much thought too it.

His hands gripped the fabric shielding my body from his view, "You don't need this. You're beautiful."

I wanted to believe him, but I didn't.

I kissed him one more time.

He pulled the shirt up between kisses. I still had the black one piece on, but felt naked to his eyes.

His large hand cupped my cheek, "So beautiful."

Our eyes locked into a moment of passion. It was the most intense thing I had ever experienced. The kiss at our spot was nothing compared to this. This was something completely different. That kiss was a desperate attempt to feel something. This kiss was full of something else. It had a different motive.

My arms were wrapped around his neck- my legs around his waist and his arms support my lower back. I looked in his eyes again.

I knew what was going to happen.

My eyes dropped to his lips for a second. "You're going to break my heart, aren't you?" My voice was drowned out as a chorus of loud boys crashed through the back gate. Aiden's entourage stood around the pool with knowing smirks on their faces.

Aiden dropped his hands from my body; leaving my feet to hit the bottom of the pool. I unhooked my arms from his neck; feeling disregarded.

Was he embarrassed to be with me?

The water surround me but my arms still wrapped around my stomach. I was anxious to be standing in front of them in such an outfit, especially with a body like mine. These guys had been around beautiful girls their whole life. So for someone as ugly as me to be standing half naked in front of them, was the worst situation I could be in.

Aiden must have felt the same way because he shoved my soaked sweater into my hands. "Put your sweater back on."

The softer voice he once used with me was replaced with the usual distant one.

The guys stood around awkwardly as I slipped the sweater over my body and climbed the ladder. Water puddled at my feet as I stood with my sweater clinging to my body. Only making me feel more self conscious:

All of their eyes were trained on me as I passed them.

I wanted to disappear.

"I'm going to go change."

More like cry.