Exiting the blue steel doors of the school, I quickly glance at my watch, double checking the time. It's already 3:30 pm and as I scan the packed parking lot of the school, I notice my chauffeur is nowhere to be seen. Shrugging to myself, I hike my pack higher up on my shoulders and begin walking, thankful that Cl- my mom didn't pick out an outfit for me today. Ever since I agreed to be adopted, I feel like they've begun to back off on the protectiveness which, not gonna lie, I'm relieved to finally have some more freedom, especially after the threat of the constant driver. Picking up a brisk walk, I make my way towards the barn, knowing Connor will be waiting for my arrival.

My dark blue sneakers make no noise as I pad along the pavement, my denim Bermuda shorts keeping me comfy in the early fall months and my dark green tee protecting my shoulders from the harmful UV rays. Skin cancer is no joke, my friend. Keeping up my pace, I take in the familiar buildings as I pass them until the city is behind me and a familiar rusted mail box peeks between the overgrown prairie grass that lines the hidden gravel drive of the barn. Jogging down the dusty driveway, I head into the lounge, change into my black paddock boots, and walk into the sawdust-coated aisle.

"Connor! Connor, where are you?"

Eager to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, I call for my friend, but I get no response. Disappointment bites like a horse fly and I make my way towards the lesson board to see who I need to get tacked up, resigning myself to not helping with fence checks and go about my humdrum job.

"Tori, is that you?"

A head covered in short black hair pops out from around the corner of the office and warm hazel eyes meet my "brown" ones. Not the one I was hoping to see, but I grin and wave at Richey regardless as he is one of the other owners of the barn.

"Yeah, any idea where Connor is? I was supposed to help him with his lessons today and I remember something about the fences along the south pasture needing to be checked."

Richey shakes his head and shrugs, his gelled hair not moving an inch. I don't know why he puts so much effort into his appearance, especially his hair, when it's just going to get coated in sawdust and hay. The only reason my hygiene is as good as it is is so I don't draw any more attention to myself than I do by simply existing. Ooo, that actually gives me an idea! Maybe, if I stop smelling like a normal person, people will avoid me even more so than they do now. Sassy wouldn't dare risking the sent of manure to dirty her nasty floral crap, would she?

"Sorry, but no. He asked me to cover his lessons for the evening and took off. I think he was needed at his other job; said there was some sort of emergency at the office. Would you still be willing to tack up the horses for me? I also would really appreciate it if you would stay around and help exercise a few of them. A new gelding was dropped off today and he's still pretty wound up. If you want to lunge him and try to calm him, that would be great. There's a fifty-fifty chance he's going to tunnel his way out of the stall if he doesn't get some of that extra energy out soon."

Grinning at my tasks, I nod and hold a thumb up, turning away from the office door and back towards the lesson board to see who needs to be taken care of. Sure enough, Connor's magnet has been moved to the side, indicating that he isn't teaching any this evening. Shaking my head, I decide to text him later to make sure everything is OK. You know, for how often he works his other job, he sure never likes to talk about what it is he does, but who knows, I never talk about my stuff either. Turning away from the board, I head into the show tack room and grab three halters as well as the bridles that correspond to each of the three horses.

All of them are in a hunt lesson together, but it looks like this is an extended three hour lesson. I can't say I'm surprised though; there is a huge competition this weekend to wrap up show season and they want to be in top performance condition. Hanging the head pieces outside each of the three stalls, I get to work grabbing the rest of the tack and finish with the three horses.