"Chill, dude!", demanded Zenan.

"Is this your little boyfriend?" Travis asked.

"You need to get lost. He didn't do anything to you, Travis." Zenan replied.

"I don't want to be around this faggot!"

"Then why are you still here?" Asked Zenan.

"Whatever," said Travis as he walked away. His clueless followers got up soon after him.

"Thanks." I mumbled to Zenan.

"No problem. Those guys are jerks."

"What if he would have hit you?" Brooke exclaimed.

"I would have charged him with assault." I laughed.

"I told you everyone isn't as open-minded as we'd all like," said Aurora.

"I see that. But it's not like I haven't been picked on before." I replied.

The bell rang in the middle of our conversation. Zenan told me to be careful and just keep my mouth shut. I figured that wouldn't be too hard.

I managed to get to seventh period without any drama. I greeted Gabriel when he walked into class and he gave me an awkward smile. It was much different from the grin he had given me earlier in the day. He sat down in his seat next to me, with a puzzled look.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Will you be honest with me?" He asked after a long silence.

"Sure..."

"Are you gay?" He whispered.

"Did you here something?"

"Yeah. People have been talking"

I didn't know what to say. I didn't want him to flip out on me like Travis had. I was just starting to feel like we were getting close. I didn't think he would be a dick to me, especially after pouring his heart out to me just the other night. I decided that honesty would be my best bet right now.

"Um...yeah," I finally said.

"Yeah, what?"

"I'm gay..." My voice trailed off.

He didn't say anything for a moment. Then finally he started to say something.

"Since when?"

"For as long as I can remember I guess."

"What about that chick you told me about?"

"I made that up. I really didn't want you to find out, especially not this way."

"So you lied to me?" He asked. "After I trusted you with my shit?"

"I really wasn't trying to be dishonest. I just..."

I really didn't know how to explain myself. I had lied, and probably wasn't going to tell him the truth. And I only told him the truth now because I was caught.

"Whatever, dude"

Gabriel turned to face the other way. My heart dropped into my stomach. He hadn't been that cold and distant with me, ever. I couldn't say anything else. I just sat in silence and took notes.

At home the atmosphere wasn't much better than school. Dad had come home upset, because his boss at his new job was apparently as big of a dick as Travis. Mom was complaining about my room not being clean, and Amanda was being her normal annoying self. I went up to my room and plopped onto my bed. I just wanted the day to be over. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. To my surprise, it was Gabriel.

Gabriel: I NEED HELP WITH THE CALC HW

Me: NOW?

Gabriel: YA. CAN U COME OVER???

Me: SURE...I'LL BE RITE OVER

It seemed like our conversation in calculus hadn't even taken place. I grabbed my book and climbed out of my window onto the big tree. He opened his window and I crawled in. He said nothing to me at first. I stayed silent also, but then started to feel awkward, so I spoke.

"So...we're cool?" I asked.

"Uh...yeah," Gabriel replied, "sorry about acting that way."

"No, it's okay. I'm sorry for lying."

"It's okay. But just so you know, I don't hate gay people."

"Good, because that would definitely be a huge road block in our friendship."

He laughed.

"So...math?" I prompted.

"Yeah! I don't get these logarithms." Gabriel replied.

We went over the homework for about fifteen minutes before Gabriel could do it by himself. After finishing Gabriel invited me to sit outside in the tree with him.

"So let's talk," he said.

"Go for it," I replied.

"Why didn't you tell me you were into dudes?"

"Um...most guys freak out. Like that jackass, Travis Hunter."

"Travis isn't that bad of a guy. He is just a little...."

"Dumb? Rude? Close-minded? Stop me when I hit it." I interrupted.

Gabriel laughed and told me to just ignore Travis if he said something to me again.

"I'll keep my distance from you at school, just so Travis and his little goons don't give you shit," I said to Gabriel.

"That's probably best," he agreed.

His response gave me a sad feeling. Even though I'm the one that suggested it, I didn't expect him to agree with me. I wanted him to say "No, screw those guys! You are more important to me." But that wasn't the case.

"We can still talk in seventh period, just not in the halls or anything, ya know?"

"That's fine. So how are you?" I asked.

"I'm good, but could always be better, ya know?"

"Makes sense. How's your dad?"

"The same. But we don't butt heads if I keep my distance."

"Well that's a plus I guess," I said.

We talked for a little while longer and then I realized that it was getting late and I probably needed to go eat dinner. I said goodnight to Gabriel as we went our seperate ways into our windows.