29

"She's fated."

"What does that mean?" Chanwoo innocently asked.

Grandma Arin's lips became tight. "To be honest, it could mean anything. The only thing I am certain of is that her destiny is different than the White Roses that came before her." She opened the book again, looking at Y/N's name. Her fingers lightly traced her name until she reach the grey cloud, or what was supposed to be the grey cloud.

In its place was a solid black cross, marking her as a fated one. "Is that supposed to be good or bad?" Donghyuk buried his face in his hands, trying to hide the concern in his voice.

Arin gave Donghyuk a small smile, glad Y/N had someone who cared for her this much. "Well... I can't say because I have no idea, frankly. Let's just say all of the White Roses but one have ended up dead before their time due to suicide." Her smile turned upside down, reminiscing about all the unnecessary deaths. "The only one was the first one: Ella."

"What?! Why?" Sira had wide eyes, knowing that Y/N's mom was a White Rose herself.

"In all cases it's because their blood is useless when they're dead. They'd rather die than let their loved ones become affected from the Strickets."

"So... Y/N's mom..." Donghyuk's voice trailed off as the room had an air of mutual understanding. "But if Y/N's fate is different, then I'm going to hold onto that small piece of hope."

The room remained silent for a while, allowing the heavy hearts to sink even further in their chests. All of a sudden, Vanessa jumped up with her phone in her hand.

"Vincent called like half an hour ago! What do I do?!" Vanessa's panicked voice caused everyone else to stand up also.

Arin was the only one in her seat still with a calm expression across her face. "Nothing. Do nothing. He must have intentions, but I doubt he'd hurt Y/N."

Donghyuk made his way toward the door and ruffled his hair in frustration. "I'm going to find her. Are you guys coming?"

"Donghyuk, wait!" Arin's voice was firm and demanding.

Donghyuk turned for a moment and shook his head. "Sorry, Arin. I don't want to be disrespectful, but you can't stop me. Y/N needs me." His hand turned the knob but stopped upon hearing her next words.

"Who said I wanted to stop you? You just can't go so unprepared."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/N

I remained before the small fire in the cabin, contemplating any escapre routes. Every time I brought up that I wanted to leave, Vincent would just stand there and make up excuses for why we had to stay. I have no idea what he's planning, but I'm aboout to rip off his head.

"Y/N what are you doing?" His voice brushed against my ears as I felt his presence close behind me.

I scooted away and glared at him, unable to contain my resentment toward him. "Wondering why we can't go back to Nitewood," I snapped.

He sighed. "Ugh. Just stop sulking around. We'll be out of here soon. I'm just waiting... for the right time to do it."

"The right time is now!" I got up from my spot and headed over to the couch, exhausted from constantly being angry at him.

The sun had been replaced by the moon, and I sat from my spot on the couch while watching the stars twinkle in the sky. I sighed deeply and allowed myself to yield to the weight of sleep, leaving Vincent alone in front of the fire.

I was in my grandma's house, but the floors were littered with all kinds of trash and debris. I glanced around and shuffled through the remains of the house, wondering what disaster had hit.