2

I hugged my Aunt Daina for what seemed like the millionth time outside the front gates of Nitewood Academy. "I'm going to miss you so much," I whispered into her hair.

She laughed and smiled at me, tucking my hair behind my ear. "It's not good bye, kiddo. I'll be around, but I'll miss you too," she cried as she hugged me again, trying to laugh in such a bittersweet moment. "Now go on before I change my mind and keep you to myself forever."

I giggled a little and walked past the gates, looking back at Aunt Daina's figure, waving at me. The front yard of the academy was vast and breathtaking. In the center sat a large marble fountain that spouted water in such a peaceful manner, flowers of every color sprinkled across the whole yard, voluminous trees bordered the right and left of the field, and lanterns lined the sides of every path.

I stared at awe until the bell rang and finally entered past the double oak doors of the school and into the main office to receive my schedule and a basic overview of the curriculum.

Slipping into the first bathroom I saw, I stared at myself in the mirror and practiced some calming breathing exercises my mom had taught me. I was suddenly interrupted by a toilet flushing and door slamming open. The occupant stared at me, eyes bulging out. I awkwardly looked at the floor, wondering why they were gawking.

"Um, I hate to break it to you but this bathroom has urinals." He chuckled next to me while washing his hands. Oh. My. Gosh. I didn't even realize he was a dude in a very much dude's bathroom. 

"Hey, it's alright." I noticed movement toward me from the corner of my eye, and I started to panic. Refusing to look at anywhere but the floor, I booked it out of the boy's bathroom and faceplamed at my stupidity, finally discovering the right bathroom and hitting my head on the door on my way in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Class, I would like to introduce a new student to not only Nitewood Academy but to the town itself," I heard my first teacher say as we made eye contact before I opened the door. "I'll be your history teacher for the year. Y/N, right? You can do a self introduction if you like and take a seat over there," he smiled as I stepped into the room.

I glanced over at the only empty seat in the room and almost died on the spot. It was him. The guy from the bathroom. Next to my seat. He caught my eye and smiled at me, causing me to blush immediately. Dang it, he knows it was meeeeee. "Hi, I'm Y/N please take care of me!" I hurriedly spoke and rushed to my seat, making sure I didn't face the guy at all, but I could still see him occasionally glancing over at me.

I was diligently taking notes, and I didn't realize the bell would ring so fast. I rushed to pack my things to make it to my next class, but the teacher, Mr. H, stopped me. "Y/N, I can't imagine everything you're going through with your parents, and I just wanted to let you know the staff here at Nitewood are very sympathetic and will be willing to help you with anything."

I smiled and thanked him, grateful that he was trying to connect to me in a supportive way and made my way out of the classroom.

"Hey, Y/N, I'm Donghyuk," the guy from the bathroom cheekily smiled behind me once I left the classroom.

"Look, I'm so sorry about what happened and I just ran away and I kind of didn't look at the sign and I can be pretty clumsy and I was just so embarr-"

He chuckled, "It's fine, I thought it was cute." I blushed and continued walking, wondering why he was following me. As if he read my mind, he explained, "everyone you have class with in first period you have for basically the rest of your classes. It's kind of a weird fixed schedule thing where they just put the same people together. I'll walk you to our next class." He took my wrist and dragged me through the crowds and into our English classroom, leading us to two empty seats.