Chapter 21

*Adam's pov*

I couldn't fall asleep that night. I laid in bed and held Anabelle close to me as she slept. I expected her to be incredibly tired.

Why would she only have the power to control the fire when she was angry? She can still burn things when she isn't. It just only lasts for a few seconds, minutes at most.

She still has the capability to destroy everything in her path if she desired.

Anabelle whimpered and my eyes flashed to her face. She looked like she was afraid. She tried to turn over, but I had her in an iron grip. She whimpered again and I kissed her cheek.

She jolted up, gasping for air.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I asked her, kissing her as I did in an attempt to calm her.

"I was watching Jessica die," she gasped. Her chest rising and falling at a rapid rate. We didn't even need air, but it was just an automatic reaction. Some things will never change.

"In the future? Or as in you were watching it as it happened?"

"What time is it now?" She asked me, seeming to calm down.

"It's just barely midnight. Why?"

"I was watching it as it happened. That makes it so much worse," she frowned.

"Baby, you know that she was going to kill us." I played with her hair. She leaned into me and I smiled slightly.

"I know, but still. Why do I feel so sad that she died?"

"You changed her sweetheart. You had the bond there. She would have felt something if you died, even if she didn't want to. You were the reason that she was a vampire. When Lucy died, I felt something, and I later realized it was the bond snapping. It wasn't because I was sad that she was dead, but more of I lost a bond that was incredibly strong. It's that way for anyone with that kind of bond."

"I was the cause of her death. I told the Council."

"I know you did, and you did what was right. Lucy had gotten to Jessica. Jessica wasn't going to rest until we were both dead and then she would have killed as many humans as possible. The sad thing is she wouldn't even have been stopped. The Council would have pretended they were unaware of what was going on and most likely use it as the time to strike."

"The thing that I don't understand is why? Why is Ben so convinced that he has to kill all of the humans? We would lose our blood source."

"Well not necessarily. We can drink animal blood, but it doesn't sustain us as well as human blood. I feel that they are tired of hiding. Benjamin is thousands and thousands of years old. He's spent his whole life here, pretending he doesn't exist; hiding in the shadows. He wants power. Sure he is the most powerful vampire political figure, but that really isn't enough for him. He needs all of the power, and even then it won't be enough for him."

"Why has no one ever challenged him?" She cuddled closer into me, and I smiled. No matter what the circumstances were, she was always able to put a smile on my face.

"I honestly don't know. Fear, most likely. He has all of the world's most powerful vampires to do his bidding. They wouldn't dare try to overthrow him."

"It's just so stupid though," she huffed and made an irritated face.

"I know, and that's why we are here. We aren't going to let Benjamin do what he is going to."

"Do you think it is possible that somehow he would make me do his bidding? I mean, he did kill Jessica for us."

I pondered this for a moment.