Chapter 13

*Anabelle's pov*

We had been running for hours nonstop in the woods. My senses were picking everything up and it was so hard to stay following Adam.

Why did this have to take so long? Why can't there be a transporter or something?

I heard Adam chuckle and I looked over at him as we continued to run. I was trying not to look into his head. I wanted him to actually communicate with me and if I kept looking into his head I may end up killing him.

"Damn you are feisty today. Anyways I am laughing because you are a lazy vampire, baby." He gave me his signature smirk and I rolled my eyes at him.

It's a good thing that my body knew what it was doing, because I really wasn't paying attention.

"So where are we going? I know it's in Vermont, but where?" I asked him.

"It's a little town called Athens. Very few people live there. It's a good place for us to hide out. It's where I had to hide out a century ago."

I stopped suddenly.

"I thought you started living on your own a century ago?" I questioned him.

"I did. But I had to hide out. Some of the elder vampires found out I was once a part of that cult I told you about. They thought that I was going to try to get more people to join that cult. They sent people to kill me, but they could never track me down. I don't know how they didn't, but I am very lucky. If they had killed me, I would have never found my mate."

I smiled at him, that was really cute. I didn't move though, and Adam came over and started pulling me along. I shook him off of me and we continued to run. I don't know how long we were running, but the scenery was absolutely beautiful. I don't think a human could fully recognize everything that was going on around them. There was so much life. Something I didn't really possess anymore. I took life away from people.

The thought made me think of the people that I had killed. I had never meant to hurt anyone. I didn't even know what I was doing. My throat did start to ache as I thought about the blood.

It tasted so good. But it made me feel sick to think of what I was drinking. I was taking away someone's life, to fulfill my own needs and desires.

"Anabelle, stop thinking like that. Do not feel guilty about what you have done. I know that it is hard and that you wish that you didn't have to take lives, but things happen."

"How can you be so whatever about this?" I asked, angrily.

"Centuries of practice. After getting out of the cult that I was a part of, I hated myself. I had killed so many innocent people and I had tried to end my own life. Of course that didn't work because, hey I'm a vampire, but the guilt was basically tearing me down. I hated the fact that I was a creature that had to kill. But think of it this way. When you were a human, did you think about killing the cow when you ate a steak or a burger?" He looked at me curiously.

"No." I answered back.

"But you were taking away their lives and eating them weren't you? And you didn't feel bad for that . That's just how nature is. There is the food chain, and for whatever reason, vampires exist and need to feed off of human blood. You're just at a higher level on the food chain, and you haven't quite adjusted to it yet."

I pondered what he said. He's right.

"But it is so different, because I was a human not long ago."

"I know, and it is going to take time to get used to the fact that you are no longer a human and get rid of that connection. Now come on, we are almost there."

Adam ran even faster and I huffed in annoyance before taking off after him. I know for a fact that I must have hated running when I was a human. I hated it when I was a vampire, and I don't even need to breathe or use any energy really.

Adam laughed and then tried to cover it up with a cough. I glowered at him. Just wait till I get a hold of him.

Adam slowed down and started to walk out of the woods. I followed him and when we got out of the woods I seen a cute little town. It was definitely a small town, but it looked so peaceful.

What if we ruined that peace here?  I hope not, it looks like the town that everyone knows everyone.

"We're not going to be living in town. We're living in a little cottage that is away from everyone. Don't worry, okay?" Adam tried to comfort me, and then we started walking towards the cottage, I assume.

It took a little bit, but we finally reached a small run down cottage. It looked like it had a lot of history, but that it was forgotten as time progressed.

"Welcome to our new home," Adam said with a bit of sarcasm.

"Why the sarcasm?" I asked him as he set down the bags that we brought and opened the door.

"We don't ever get to have a permanent home. If we don't keep moving then people get suspicious as to why we never age or the fact that people are always getting murdered and their bodies are never discovered. So if we don't move, that could bring in the Vampire Council, and nobody wants that."

I nodded my head in understanding, but I still didn't like it. Adam picked up the bags and then walked in. There was dust everywhere and it looked like it had not been touched since Adam had stayed here. So let's just say it was a mess.

"Hey, I am not that messy," he tried to defend himself, but it didn't go to well, as he had to kick things out of the way as he walked.

"You know that you suck at defending yourself. Anyways, do you have the blood?" I asked him. My throat started to burn and I needed it.

Adam sighed but got me the blood. I tore it open and drank it quickly.

I threw the bag away and then started to clean. As I cleaned my mind wandered to Jessica. I hope she was okay. I didn't want anything bad to happen to her.

"You know that feeling is only because you are the one that changed her? If you hadn't changed her, you would feel no desire to protect that bitch."

I gasped. Even though she was trying to do this stuff, it was only because she is scared.

"She wants revenge, and I know she's going to make an appearance, no matter how much I wish to never see her again."

"She'll get over it and then move on with her life."

Adam didn't say anything and I knew he disagreed with me. I sighed and went back to the bedroom to clean it up. Surprisingly, the bedroom looked well kept.

The bed was in a canopy style and it looked so comfortable.

I walked over and laid on the bed. I was right it was comfortable.

"Is someone tired?" Adam walked in and chuckled. I stuck my tongue out at him and laid my head on the pillow.

"Go to sleep Anabelle. We will be fine for today."

I nodded my head and felt myself drift off to sleep.

*Adam's pov*

Anabelle was too naïve.

She couldn't see that Jessica was going to try to kill us. Jessica wanted to make sure that we felt pain and suffering.

Jessica clearly didn't feel that bond between her and Anabelle. Jessica reminded me of Lucy. Cold and heartless.

I hope it isn't Lucy coming back for revenge.