Chapter 16

*Adam's pov*

I never thought I'd go back to England. I hated the Vampire Council. Their forms of punishment were cruel and unbearable. I had been punished for being a part of that cult with Lucy. Even though I had no idea what I was doing.

The Council was not a group of understanding people. It was their way or the high way. Or more accurately known as death.

They hadn't killed me because I didn't know what I was doing. But their torture wasn't any better. I wished for death. I mean now I don't want to die, I have Anabelle, but before, I just wished and begged for death.

Walking through the stone halls brings back the memories of being tortured. I shivered and Anabelle looked at me curiously. She moved closer to me trying to comfort me. I gave her a small smile.

'What's wrong?' She asked me in her mind.

'It's a story for later. I promise I will tell you, just not right now.'

She nodded her head and we continued to follow Nathan. He led us to these huge corridors. I remembered them all too well as I received my punishment. Day after day.

Eventually Aaron had let me go, but it wasn't before I hated myself. Eventually I started to think I deserved the pain. That I was a complete mistake for being with Lucy, even though I had no idea what was going on. That for me doing the right thing, deserved me to be tortured.

Nathan opened the doors and entered the 'throne room.' Where the Council members held themselves better than everyone else.

"Ah Nathan, you have returned," Benjamin said with a smile. "And you brought guests. One of whom we have already met. Nice to see you Adam, and under better circumstances." He smirked and I stayed emotionless. On the plane I had set up my mind to be protected along with Anabelle's. They couldn't read our thoughts, no matter how hard they tried.

"I do not believe that is true," Jack said. He stared loathing at me. I ignored him.

"Ah what do you mean?" Benjamin asked. Benjamin was the president of the Council if a title should be given to him. Everyone reports to him. He is the eldest vampire known in the world. Thousands of years behind him, no one questions his authority.

"You see, he did not kill the daughter of the vampire hunters. He turned her into a vampire." Nathan smirked as he spoke and I curled my lips up at him. I put my arm around Anabelle to calm her down.

"Benjamin, if I may speak. I did not have intentions to turn her into a vampire. I was going to just get the job done and leave. But she is my mate, and I am sorry for disobeying, but I couldn't kill my mate," I explained to the Council.

The Council looked down at Anabelle and me. Fear was invading my thoughts and I knew that was because of Tina. Tina controls emotions. I looked over at Anabelle, but she didn't look afraid, quite the opposite actually.

Could she be immune to Tina's powers? I really wonder but the fear started to course through my body and I began to shake. Anabelle looked worriedly at me and held onto me.

I soon began to convulse with fear as if I was having an anxiety attack and I fell to the ground.

"Adam!" Anabelle cried and she got on her knees next to me trying to calm me down. I could feel her pull me into her arms and I did feel slightly relaxed but it wasn't enough.

I could see Anabelle becoming enraged I started to fear for everyone in the room.

Anabelle's eyes flared bright red as she sprung up and the room erupted in flames. She was pissed and the Council members were shocked. They curled against the wall they sat against as the flames surrounded them.

"Tina! Enough, leave Adam alone," Benjamin barked and I could feel my body regaining control. I slowly stood up and went next to Anabelle.

"Baby, calm down, I'm safe. I'm fine, look at me baby girl," I spoke softly to her and she turned her head towards me.

She looked relieved and then the flames began to die around us. I let out a breath I was holding.

"She's a very powerful vampire. No vampire has been able to control fire for thousands of years. Victor was tragically killed by other vampires in a fight. It would be nice to have someone who was able to control the elements live here. Wouldn't you agree my brothers and sisters?" Benjamin asked them and they nodded their head in unison.

"It does appear that they are mates as well," Ginger spoke up. She was the few of the Council members who was kind and had a soul. "Just by hurting Adam, the girl became defensive and protective over her mate. She seems to be very young and unaware of her powers, but she could become the most powerful vampire in history. She is obviously blocking all of our powers now without even trying. Except for telepathy. We know that that was done on purpose."

"You are correct. No one has resisted Tina's powers before. I wonder what else she can do," Benjamin mused.

I curled my lip protectively. I didn't like how they were talking about my mate.

"Awe, Adam, relax. We mean no harm towards you and your lovely mate. What is your name by the way?" Benjamin asked Anabelle. I bit my tongue so I wouldn't answer for her.

"My name now is Anabelle. But as a human I learned that my name was Rose."

"You have a new name now?" Helen looked at her curiously as she asked the question.

"Yes. When I awoke from being turned into a vampire, I didn't remember anything about my human life. I still don't, but I seen on the television that my name was Rose. I didn't know my name when I was turned, so I go by Anabelle now."

"I see. But Rose was such a beautiful name. I'm wondering as to how you don't remember your human life. I wonder if it is because of your background as a vampire hunter or because of your powers. You see, we can tell that you are very well gifted. You have not even touched the surface of your powers."

"I prefer you didn't look at my mate as a possession," I finally spoke up.

"My apologies old friend, as I said earlier I mean no harm," Benjamin stated and I just glared at him.

"I'd like you both to stay here for a while. Maybe even join the Council if you would like," Benjamin declared.

"Are you crazy?" Perseus yelled.

Perseus was not as old as Benjamin, but Perseus is from Ancient Greece. The Greek hero himself.

"Brother, I do not think there is a problem," Benjamin said and I could see him using his power over Perseus.

Benjamin was able to control your mind. He would get his way whether you wanted it or not.

"No. There is no problem. I am mistaken." Perseus sounded like a robot and unable to have any thoughts going through his head.

"What do you say you two?" Benjamin turned back to us.

'Adam? What do you want to do?'

'Let's take him up on staying here. For now, we say we are unsure about joining.'

'Okay.'

"We will take you up on your offer to stay here. We do not know about joining the Council for now," I said calmly.

"Ah I am delighted to hear that. Nathan show them to their rooms. I see great things happening from this," he said delightfully.

I honestly feel that I made a deal with Satan.