Chapter 5 - Dinner Interrupted!

Conleyswifey: She is a Wattpad author I absolutely adore. Her stories are so much fun to read, but be warned, if you read one story of hers, there is no way you can stop going back to her for some more :-) since her books are so darn addictive. But fear not, she churns them well and plenty, and always churns them right. Werewolves, cowboys, time travel, she has written them all. So I think it is right to dedicate this chapter to one of my favorite authors and quickest updater on Wattpad.

______________________________________________________

Standing under the shower, I closed my eyes and lifted my face to the nozzle letting the spray of cold water sting some sense into me. Aryan's mesmerizing hazel eyes had imprinted themselves into my brain and my eyes refused to see anything else.

Four long years of not seeing him, not hearing a word from him, vanished into a puff of air the moment my eyes had met his mirthful ones. His eyes always held a mischievous twinkle ready to spill and wash over you at a moment's notice. Those eyes had dragged me into trouble quite a few times and had got him out of trouble too many times to count.

"Still falling for me, Pigtails," – My ears rang with his deep gravelly voice echoing louder in the shower cubicle, drowning the gush of water cascading down my body and raising goosebumps in its wake. It was unfair the kind of hold he had over me even after so many years; his absence did nothing to dim the feelings he had once evoked in me.

I was only thirteen then, I reminded myself; not an age for developing everlasting feelings. Like an innocent teenager ignorant of the ways of the heart, like a fool with no sense of consequence, my carefree heart had taken a tumble and confessed. He had laughed, open-mouthed and loud, clutching his stomach and doubling over, his eyes wide and teasing, his brows raised with wonderment; he had laughed as if I were joking. It had taken only a minute, an agonizing minute, to realize what his reaction meant.

I still felt the pain deep in my heart; the humiliation of making a fool of myself over a boy at such a young age burned into my being. According to mamma and Annie, I had always been wiser than girls my age. How wrong they were. I had been an emotional fool then and considering my reaction to his return, I was being one...again.

I jerked my hand, shut the shower, and leaned my forehead against the glass shower stall, my fingers absently tracing the sliding droplets that mirrored my helpless state. I closed my eyes and despite everything, I allowed my heart to enjoy his return, lips curving at the images it shot out to my brain. Just for a moment, I pleaded, just for a moment. I wanted to forget the pain he had caused by leaving, by helping her. My mind refused to think about her and instead focused on how devilishly handsome he had looked sporting tousled bed hair, his angular jaw peppered generously with dark stubble, and his hazel eyes alight with mischief. They had crinkled in the corners with the laughter he tried to hold back, stopping a dimple from forming on his left cheek.

Like the droplets that dropped down to my feet and disappeared, my heart hung low fighting memories. I sighed heavily and opened my eyes, calling myself a thousand kinds of fool for not letting go. I should, I knew. He was bohemian enough not to stay in one place...ever.

The charming devil had returned but why? My mind wandered to find reasons and came up blank.

Pushing Aryan to the back of my mind, I dried myself with a fluffy, white, turkey towel and stepped out of the bathroom, when I heard a knock at the door.

"Just a minute," I yelled, rushing to pull on my burnt yellow tights and a grey summer top, before opening the door to a quiet and gloomy-looking Annie. She looked stunning in skin-tight black jeans teamed with a pink sleeveless tie-neck top. Her dressed to kill persona was in straight contrast to the guilt-stricken morose look on her face.