Chapter 13 - Jai, my handsome human shield

It was like walking into a lion’s den, the difference being that the lion now hung as a massive sized portrait right behind the principal’s desk. Our principal was no lion but nor was she a lamb. Kanchana Nayar was a gentle soul with a hard task of running a prestigious school, following in the footsteps of her father and grandfather who had ruled this establishment with iron-fists for over five decades.

Now, the huge straight-backed leather chair that had seen as many years as her stood empty which left us alone in the room. I seized the opportunity to quiz Jai on his stupid last-minute revelation.

“You know everything? What the hell does that mean?” I glared at Jai who looked nervous despite the bravado he showed a second ago.

“Ssh! Later! She’ll be here any minute,” he whispered, placing a finger on his lips.

“You better tell me before she comes or else_”

“Stop threatening, Divi! I said I’ll tell you, but later.” He glared back.

I tugged my hand free and crossed my hands over my chest. “Now!”

He sighed. “You are so bloody stubborn.” He sounded frustrated. Good!

“Well.” I bobbed my head in encouragement.

“Everything means everything,” he came closer and whispered loudly.

My eyes widened in shock, but I refused to believe because there was no way anyone knew everything. There were people who knew bits and pieces of the last four years starting that night, but not one person knew it all.

“I’m waiting, Jai,” I said impatiently, my booted foot creating a nervous rhythm on the marble tiled floor.

“Hell, Divi! I can’t fully explain now, there is no_”

“You’re wasting your time.” I was very close to losing my temper and I wanted him to know it.

“Fine!” The corner of his eyes ticked, his cheeks flushed slightly and matched the color of his lips. He threaded both his hands through his black hair, messing up the carefully styled hairdo.

Jai stepped even closer and looked deep into my eyes. I watched fascinated as he kept biting his upper lip. His lower lip was thicker than his thin upper one. He had a strong jaw too, in fact it was perfect. Why had I not noticed before? We were dancing partners; he had held me close too many times to count. I heard a soft groan escape his lips and my amber eyes flew to meet his dark ones.

“Stop staring at my lips Divi unless you want to kiss them,” he said seriously.

“What…” I stuttered and shook my head vehemently. “No! I don’t!” I looked at him shocked. He just chuckled with a shake of his head. He was such a jokester.

“Don’t change the subject, Jai,” I said narrowing my eyes at him.

I stuck my eyes to his clear broad forehead. That was safe, right!

“Right!” I could tell he wasn’t looking forward to spilling just yet from the way he rubbed both his hands over his face. “Divi, I…” he nervously started.

Just then, principal’s taut voice carried over to the room, and we looked at each other in alarm. Before we turned around to look straight ahead, I couldn’t help notice Jai slump his shoulder and let out an exalted breath in relief at the interruption. I frowned. What was he going to say? Was it so bad that he would rather face Princi’s anger than tell me?

My downcast eyes caught the elegantly draped beige colored cotton sari circle around us to sit on the chair in front of us. For five long minutes, only the rustle of papers as our principal signed each one with a single flourish of her wrist, filled the room. I had an incredible urge to wipe the sweat off my neck. Her refusal to even acknowledge our presence in the room was draining whatever little strength I had left in my body.