Chapter 12 - Classroom Tussle lands us in Trouble

Aryan Diaz was the darling alumni of our Mrittika High School. His name figured in its records as one of the most popular and high achieving students who also caused the most trouble. In a short span of three years from 10th grade to senior high, he had won over everyone he met. The tales of his sudden disappearance from our small community had percolated over the years along the corridors of our tight-knit family-owned school. Everyone also knew our history, making me dread the inevitable questions that would arise.

I opened my eyes to see the rest of the class form a circle around our table. Jassie was the first one to shriek out Aryan’s name and I involuntarily bit my tongue hard. The rest of the girls followed with questions ranging from "How is he?" "Is he staying with you?" "I bet he looks sexier than before." "OMG! Is he really back?"  "When are you throwing a party?’ ‘I can’t wait to see him!’ Guys joined the inquisition with questions of their own.

With every question, I sunk lower in the chair. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole even though Annie was the one at the receiving end. Jai sat without moving a muscle except for his hand which was slowly curling into a fist. I turned my head and caught him staring at me. I raised an eyebrow and with a slight nod towards the back, he stood up. When I did not get up immediately, he grabbed my hand and pulled me up. I heard Annie cheerfully and patiently answer everyone.

I joined Jai at the back of the classroom. His handsome face was clouded with something I could not read.

“Did you know he was coming back?” he asked abruptly.

“No.” I answered bluntly.

“Have you seen him yet?”

“Yes.”

“Everyone likes him.”

“Yes.”

“You still like him?”

I did not answer.

“Divi, do you still like him?”

I sighed. “What is this Jai? Are we playing twenty questions?”

“It sure looks like it! Yes, No, maybe! Damn it Divi, will you just answer properly?”

“Arre, what’s wrong with you? What more do you want me to say?”

“Everyone seems to know him. I haven’t met the guy and am just curious.” He shrugged, but I could tell there was more to it.

“You can relax. He has no reason to come to school so your groupies will remain yours.” I teased, hoping he would calm down.

His eyes widened, and he slightly shook his head before saying, “Yeah well, great then. I don’t have to worry about losing my precious girls.” He scratched his head and attempted a light laugh that looked more like a grimace.

Jai was acting so wired up I was getting worried. “Hey, are you alright?”

“Yup! Now that I know he won’t steal my golden crown, I’m good, great in fact!” There was that nervous laughter again, which made me frown deeper.

“Okay,” I dragged out, and signaled that I was going back to my seat. He gave me a curt nod and turned away to look out the window.

I had only taken a step when the urgency in his voice stopped me, “Divi, can I ask you something?”

“Yeah sure,” I said, crossing my arms under my chest.

After several seconds, he moved away from the window and stood in front of me.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I frowned at his question.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” It was his turn to frown.