Left with a mark

The silence shattering alarm went off making me slam my fist down on it. I laid there looking at the ceiling.  Today was the day.

My stomach felt full of knots. Feeling my emotions brewing I got up fast. I couldn't dwell, I couldn't put myself in the pit of depression today. I had to get on with it.

Pulling on running gear I shoved earphones in, putting my phone into an
arm cuff I headed out. I did stretches before leaving the apartment block.

Using the music to run to, I used the volume to block process of my mind working.

Taking a 5k route I used to run I headed off. I probably walk some of it from not running in such a long time.

The sun was slowly heating up making me collect a sweat across my body. Controlling my breathing I ran through a dog park. I used to run this way with Logan.

Only now I was running alone with no guard dog at my side looking after me. My lungs were burning as well as my calves, I slowed slightly until it became comfortable again. Slowly increasing the speed I regained my pace.

Fire engines flew past slowly seeping into my eardrums. Two shot past before I was able to cross the road. I guess someone was having a bad morning!

I came to a stop giving up after being stood at the side walk waiting to cross. So I took my time and walked back slowly to my apartment. I checked my phone a variety of times to make sure I hadn't missed any calls from my mom.

It would cost her a fortune but some things needed to be done through the phone then a bleeding text. It was times like this I wished I was at home. Not trying to keep myself afloat in Vegas.

Turning onto my street I realised the fire engines were outside my apartment.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me!" I cried running down.

Seeing a few of my neighbours I stopped beside them looking at the inferno.

"What the hell?!" I cried.

"RIA!" A woman cried hugging me. I didn't really know her just that she lived the opposite side of me.

"Thank god you're out!"

"W-what happened?" I asked.

"We don't know. Nobody is telling us a thing." She answered.

The smoke was thick and black and most likely could be seen for miles. I looked at the inferno and then myself.

I could have been in there.. Asleep.

I could have burnt to death this morning if it wasn't for the fact I was worried about the dreaded call today. That was my only reason for going out for a run.

I pulled out my phone feeling the vibrations on my arm. It was a message from Zak.

- Have you got the pill yet?

I had more important things to worry about then a fucking stupid pill!

- GET IT FOR ME THEN! IM BUSY!

- I will!

I mentally groaned, I didn't need him over here sniffing around. A loud crash came from the building sinking my heart as the roof caved in.

I was going to lose everything. Right in front of me.

***************

I had watched them do their best but what was left of the apartment block was a smouldering mess.

"Ria I am so sorry." My landlord spoke patting my shoulder in sympathy.

"I-it's not your fault. I'm sorry excuse me." I replied quietly and disappeared behind a van.

My phone went off making me take a look. My mum had text...

-Positive.. I love you. Mum x

The wind was knocked from my lungs making my knees give out. I slid down the van and onto the floor. Hiding my face in my hands I burst into tears.

First my home and now this?! Where was my break? When did god look down and give me a little help?!

Sensing a change in atmosphere I knew someone was near me. From the cologne I knew who it was.

"Maria?" Zak spoke quietly.

I looked up to see a pharmacy bag in his hand with a bottle of water. Stupid me. I almost forgot he wasn't here for me.

I snatched the bag from him and took the tablet washing it down. Even showing him my mouth.

"There. Now you can fuck off!" I snapped.

"No. No I can't.. Come on."

I slapped his hands away "Just because we fucked once doesn't mean we're bosom buddies. You're still a massive jerk! And here!" I shoved my phone into his hand.

"You might as well delete the original photos! Cause what else do I have now?!"

He looked at my phone and back to me "Positive. What's positive Maria?"

"None of your damn business! Just delete the photos and go! Without breaking my phone because I might be going home yet!"

After a minute he handed me the phone back and pulled off his jacket putting it around me.

I shrugged it off.

"Maria. Don't be difficult. Just keep it on."

My sadness turned to anger thinking of last night.

"Have you told Aaron?" I growled.

"What? No, I didn't want those photos going online so why would I?" Zak asked.

"He's not himself. And thanks for the hickey you dipshit. Now I have no home, no clothes, no money and a hickey I may as well become a hooker!" I fumed.

"Right I've had enough of this." He stood up.

"That's right! Run away! Back to the mansion and leave everyone else running around in the filth."

I was pulled off the floor and marched to his car, his fingers dug into my arm before being shoved in the seat. He slammed the car door and got in pulling away.

"Where are w-"

"Shut up." He snapped.

"Fuck you."

"You already have! Now quiet!"

"Don't tell me what to do?!" I shouted back at him before folding my arms and looking out the window.

With the him of his car and the impending silence I fell asleep.