Invasion

A week until Aarons birthday...

The day wasn't very nice.

It was raining in Vegas, such a rare occasion that when it took hold it never held back. Puddles would turn into floods eventually on the roads making it slippery for any car, unless you had some four wheel drive.

I'd skipped lunch in favour of sitting in the back room on the counter with the window opening smelling the rain, only you couldn't smell rain. What you smelt was dirt, but somehow I always found the smell nice.

I let out a sigh and flipped over the closed sign of the antiques store.

"That was a big sigh." Stephen said looking through the book and matching up receipts with invoices.

"I guess... It's just been slow today hasn't it?"

"Yeah.. Still there is always tomorrow." He smiled.

I wish I had his enthusiasm, to look at the brighter side of life and never let anything get him down. Sometimes I needed advice from someone like that and other times.... Not so much.

"So... What's the deal with you and Ellen's boy, Zak isn't it?"

I rolled my eyes. "There is no deal."

"Really?"

"Yeah, listen I didn't know they rang up last week and got me a day off."

Stephen blinked.

I'd hate to think what they told him...

"So do you know about your holiday in a weeks time?" He asked unsure.

I nodded. "Yeah we are all going away for Aaron's birthday."

"Right.. You don't seem very pleased about that. You and Aaron get on great."

"Oh no.. We do it's just the company he keeps." I muttered.

"Ah.. That Zak huh?"

I lifted my brows and gave a nod.

"Not like him?"

"No, he... He just gets under my skin and makes me mad. Really mad. I've never felt anger towards someone as much as I do him."

Stephen nodded and listened as I went on a full scale rant whilst cleaning things away.

"Sounds to me that there's a little more to this than just hating him." Stephen concluded making me stop and look over at him.

"What does that mean?"

"Ria.. Do you like the guy?"

I threw my hand over my forehead "No! I can't stand him. Haven't you been listening to me? He's a pain in the ass and it's not treat them mean and keep them keen. He's a genuine shithead!"

The phrase made Stephen laugh "I'm serious Stephen. I do not like Zak Bagans in ANY capacity."

"Well who you trying to convince? Him or yourself?" Zak spoke making me spin around.

Stephen's laugh got harder making me throw him a glare.

"Once you've finished your bitching... Aaron is waiting to take you home." He replied.

I looked at Stephen who was still chuckling away at himself, giving me a nod I collected my things and walked out behind Zak.

"This isn't over." I whispered to Stephen who grinned.

Sure enough Aaron was outside, he did have a four wheel drive so these floods didn't stand a chance. I slipped in the back behind Zak as he rode shot gun.