Chapter 26 - Tobias

Start from the beginning

I try my best to convey my gratitude, though my patience is wearing thin. "Thanks."

I place my phone on the table, and stare at the blank screen. I know Tris and I have only been dating for about seven months now, but things really are becoming serious. The more time I'm with Tris, the more I find myself pondering the idea of marriage. It's come up briefly before, but the more time we are together, I have a harder time imagining my life without her. But when Christina mentioned morning sickness, even though she was joking, an image of Tris flashed in my head, one that I'm having difficulty getting rid of right now. One where she holds her slightly swollen stomach, a ring on her finger, smiling. An image where I know that I gave her that ring and that she is carrying our child. I never thought I would want that, but an ache is present in my chest. I can't decide if I want that image now, especially with Tris.

I rub my face. I can't do this right now. There are too many things to consider, and honestly I'm not sure if I would ever be ready to have kids of my own. It's not that children scare me, I'm more afraid that any child of mine would suffer because of my past. Not to mention Tris is very ill, and I need to take care of her.

I sigh, getting up to get Tris' phone off the counter, and text Tori that she won't be coming in today, and probably won't the rest of the week if she's as sick as I think she is. Relaying that I will inform her of what the doctor says as soon as I know something.

Will calls back about twenty minutes later, and I end up giving him several detailed instructions for the programmers as well as the other staff that are on the project. Even though I prefer to do my job by myself, I'm actually glad that Will is my assistant manager, especially on days like this. He seems to know me well enough that he should be able to take care of everything without too many incidents.

I sigh, stretching after I get off the phone with Will. I glance at the clock seeing that it's 7:50. I need to probably start getting her ready. Hopefully she can get an early doctor's visit, but given that's it's a Monday, I'm not hopeful.

I walk to the bedroom, and go to sit down, being careful not to jostle her. She's curled into a tight ball, and I notice the shaking has gotten worse. I move my hand up and down her arm, being gentle. "Tris?"

She opens her eyes slowly, trying to focus on me. Her voice sounds rough, "Oh God..." She breathes in, tightening even more into herself. "I feel awful." She pauses, closing her eyes. "Tobias? Do you think you could call Tori for me?"

I gently squeeze her shoulder through the blanket. "Everything is already taken care of. I'm staying home to take care of you." She tries to smile, but it looks like a grimace. "And as soon as we go get a shower, you are going to the doctor."

**********

I place the sports drink on Tris' night stand along with several pill bottles. Tris is curled in a ball on her bed, having fallen asleep the moment we got done at the doctor's office. I'm not hopeful she'll keep down the small amount of liquid I got in her. It seems the moment she was upright, her body stopped cooperating all together. The doctor was able to give her a shot of some kind of anti-nausea medicine, but I have never seen anyone this sick and it worries me.

The doctor said she had a bad case of the flu and needed to stay out for the next three days or until her fever had broken for at least twenty-four hours. He also stated that if she can't keep down liquids over the next 24 hours, or she starts vomiting blood I need to take her to the emergency room. I stroke her hair, feeling how warm she still is. I just hope she starts feeling better soon.

I look over at the clock. Between the late doctor's visit, and going to get prescriptions and other necessities, Zoe will be getting out of school soon. I close the bedroom door going into the small kitchen hoping I can get in touch with Natalie. I dial her number and to my surprise she picks up on the second ring, "Hi Tobias. How are you?"