Chapter9- Mark of the Damned

“Oh my God! Ned?” Zenia screamed.

As she saw me caring the almost unconscious human body of Ned through the kitchens door, his white somewhat burned wings framing us both. She tried to help me carry him, by that it meant touching him and I felt the urged to lunge at her throat. 

“DON’T TOUCH HIM!” I growled at her.

“Oh! Okay … I guess…” she mumbled surprised, her blue eyes confused.

I growled again, sounding like the real monster I am, but I couldn’t care less at this moment. I got out of the kitchen, drugging Ned with me and climbed up the stairs which led to the doorway of my room. As Granny -oups sorry- Zenia was sleeping on the ground floor, my bedroom and a bathroom was the only rooms on the attic. By the time I entered my room being greeted by my favorite purple walls, Ned’s eyes were closed and his breathing had turned even more irregular.  

I cautiously laid him in my unmade bed, tucking him slowly between the covers and basing his head in my loving blue, fluffy pillow. Zenia was following behind me quietly, like a lost puppy. I could feel both hers and Ned’s blood flowing in their veins, smell both their scents and hear the slow beat up of their hearts. Though I have to admit, Ned’s heart was beating nothing but slow, it was like he was going to have a heart attack and plus his scent was at least a thousand of times better than that of Zenia’s. I am sure if I let my hunger take control he will be dead in no more than a minute.

“What happened?” Zenia asked, moving closer to my bed as I stood there unable to move.

“I don’t know!” I whispered feeling all my strength evaporating while remembering all the things that happened in these two damn days.

“Why is he…Human?” She required again, this time more demanding.

“I. Don’t. Know!” I repeated through clenched teeth.

Zenia didn’t say anything after that leaving the room to fall into an awkward silence; my eyes were locked into Ned’s face. What happened Ned? I thought to myself. I closed my eyes for just a second, breathing deeply and when I opened them again Zenia was bend over Ned’s body ready to touch him.

“Don’t fucking touch him!” I hollered at her while my instincts kick in and I pushed her hard out of the way, making her fall to the floor.

“Why are you so HELL bend on not letting me treat him?” She screamed frustrated while looking up at me.

I kept staring at her, anger had the best of me, I did understand why she had to touch him, but still I didn’t like it, though the best part of me felt extremely guilty for acting this way to her. I made myself locked in this stance keeping my breath, because I really was going to murder someone. Suddenly a glam of understanding reached her eyes.

“Oh! No!” She whispered. “You two didn’t…”

She stood up so quickly that I barely got the chance to push her back down again, but I hold myself in place. She bended over Ned again, touching his chest with trembling fingers and discovering the place where the thunder hit him. The least to say I was expecting to see a lot of blood, but the only thing that was there was a black mark embedded in the place of his heart. Like a tattoo. Zenia took a deep breath.

“Goddess helps us!” She screeched and jumped up away from Ned like he had the scabies.

“What is it?” I asked panicking myself.

“If I am correct…” She mumbled. “This is The Mark of the Damned!”

“The mark of the what?” I asked confused.