Day Twenty-Nine: Doing Something Sweet

"Dean, I'm gonna trip over something," Elena says, her smile curling her words. Dean just chuckles, tightening his grip on her waist to keep her steady.

            "I won't let you fall," he murmurs, his breath fanning out against Elena's ear and making her shiver.

            They young couple is alone in the bunker, Sam off hunting some werewolf in upstate New York. Dean had been planning this for weeks, picking up supplies in the dead of night so Elena wouldn't suspect a thing. Normally it wouldn't take this long to set up a romantic evening, but stores only carried so many candles.

            "Dean, seriously. What is going on?" Elena reaches up, intending to pull her blindfold off. Dean had spent far too long adjusting the tie around her eyes, assuring she couldn't see a thing.

            "Sorry sweetheart, not yet," Dean scolds, pulling her hands away from her eyes and interlacing their fingers. "We're almost there."

            "You better not be taking me to see your porn collection again," Elena says, raising a finger to accuse him. "I don't care how nicely you organize it. It's still porn."

            "Duly noted," Dean says, chuckling again. "And don't worry, I think you'll enjoy this."

            Dean guides her forward, leading her through the dark hallways of the bunker. Elena begins to see a feint glow through the blindfold, her feet slowly moving toward the yellow light. Finally rounding the last corner, Dean tugs off Elena's blindfold and she gasps.

            Dean and Elena stand just inside the threshold of the kitchen, the smell of food surrounding them. Every possible surface is covered in tiny candles, the flames flickering all around the room and painting the walls in a golden glow. Shadows dance along the walls, moving with the fire as one. Elena's couldn't even begin to count the candles, instead focusing on the homemade meal sitting at the table.

            "Oh, Dean..." Elena puts a hand to her mouth, her heart thudding in her chest. "This is beautiful."

            "I might have gone a bit overboard on the candles," Dean admits, suddenly very nervous. He makes himself smaller, ducking his head and rubbing the back of his neck. "I just thought we were a bit overdue for a romantic evening and—"

            "I love it," Elena exclaims, stopping him from rambling on. Elena turns and wraps her arms tightly around Dean's neck, kissing him gently. "And I love you."

            "I love you too," Dean whispers, kissing her lightly before grabbing her hand and pulling her toward the table. "Here, here, I made your favorite. The pasta might be slightly overcooked, but..."

            Dean continues to critique his cooking as Elena sits down, her eyes widening at the sight of all the food. Dean had really outdone himself, even going as far as to make garlic bread. Dean waits anxiously as Elena takes the first bite, his eyes big and hopeful. The food is amazing, just as Elena knew it would be, and she quickly praises him for his astounding efforts. Finally pleased, Dean settles in and begins to eat the food he prepared.

            The two continue to talk and laugh as they eat, enjoying each other's company in the light of the candles. Dean reaches across the table and takes Elena's hand, rubbing her fingers with his thumb as he listens to her rant. He always loved when she went off like this, her eyes light with energy as she speaks a thousand words a minute. Dean barely got a word in, but he was more than happy to just sit and listen.

            This is why he had done this after all, to make her happy and show her how much he loved her. Because no matter how many fights they had, no matter how dark things got, Elena is and will always be the love of his life.