Day Sixteen: Doing Their Morning Rituals

It was always the same with Dean and Elena. They knew each other's ticks, what drove the other crazy. They knew every look, every twitch of the face. Nothing was unimportant, nothing too small for the other not to notice. They worked well together, thinking as one in almost every situation. They were a well oiled machine these two, clicking in more ways than one. If either of them believed in soul mates, they'd know that that's what they are.

            They loved their rituals. Special things that they liked to claim as their own and did religiously, reminding each other of how much they loved them.

            Elena tends to wake up first, her internal clock working much better than Dean's. She loved waking up before him. It gave her the opportunity to appreciate the small things. Like how close he always kept her while he was asleep, the need to be protect her and be near her present even in this state. She loved how peaceful he looked while he was sleeping, his skin absent of the frown lines and shadows that plagued his face in the daytime. She loved the freckles on his nose, how innocent and delicate they looked in the dim light. She always tried to count them, but it was like trying to count the number of stars in the sky.

            Eventually she'd decide it was time for him to wake up, for her to see those bright green eyes of his. She'd duck down, pressing her lips to his bare chest. By the time she made it up to his neck he'd generally be awake, smiling when her lips finally find his.

            Once he was awake, Elena wanted to start the day. She wanted to taste her first cup of coffee and she wanted to tease Dean as he made breakfast. Dean had other plans. He'd trap her in his arms, keeping her in bed for as long as possible. But he'd always cave, crawling out of bed with her and heading into the bathroom.

            On the days she didn't wash her hair Elena liked to shower in the morning. Dean would always join her, hogging all the hot water and distracting her from doing what she needed to do. The one good thing about showering with Dean was that he'd rub her shoulders, working out the knots that had somehow gotten in her muscles.

            They'd stand side by side brushing their teeth, dancing along to whatever tune Dean was playing from his phone. Elena had never been a fan of classic rock until she met Dean, but now she can't get enough of it. She'd beg him to play her favorite songs, smiling widely when he finally did.

            Dean would stand in the doorway while Elena did her makeup, talking to her about anything and everything. They talked about the newest Naked and Afraid episodes, criticizing the contestants lack in survival skills. They teased each other about previous hunts, calling each other out on stupid maneuvers and reckless plans. They talked about obsessions and things they hated, people in their lives and people they wished were still around. When Elena asked which lipstick color she should wear that day, Dean gave his opinion. When he ranted about his latest argument with Sam, she listened.

            Their morning rituals didn't stop there. They'd move into the kitchen, saying good morning to Sam as they passed him in the hall. Elena couldn't cook for her life, so she was always tasked with making coffee. She always made it bitter, adding sugar and cream after she's served Dean his cup. While Elena took a seat at the table with her coffee in hand, Dean would start in on breakfast. He hummed while he cooked, disregarding the fact that he was actually tone deaf. Elena loved to watch him work, loved seeing how focused he got even though it was just eggs.

            Sometimes Dean would pull her away from her coffee, sitting her on top of the counter where he would stand between her legs. He'd work around her, stealing kisses whenever he got the chance.

            They were in their own little bubble, a world made just for them. This was their time before the day really started, before they had to go out and do their job. It was the time when they got to act as a couple, when they could gaze into each other's eyes without Sam groaning in protest or making gagging noises. The morning was private and special, reserved for their eyes and ears only.

            It was Deanlena time, the ship name Elena invented for them during one of their many mornings together. He'd only agreed to the stupid name because his name came first.

Author's Note:

I just realized I'm over half way done with the Deanlena section of this challenge! (Note: this is why I added the last paragraph lol). I can't believe I've already written this much...