Day Twenty-Two: In Battle, Side By Side

Part One

            Dean double-checks his gun, sliding the first bullet into place. He could hear the Rugaru around the corner, a sickening crunch followed by the sound of chewing. He'd been tracking this thing for weeks with Elena, watching this guy as he changed. He'd hoped he wouldn't change, that he wouldn't take that last step. Dean was wrong to put so much hope in one man.

            "Stay close, okay? I don't want this guy to get a bite out of you," Dean whispers, quickly taking Elena's hand to give her a reassuring squeeze. She smiles tightly, pushing down any residual anger she still held against Dean.

            It started even before they'd left the bunker. Dean wanted her to stay behind, for him and Sam to take care of it on their own. Elena was obviously furious, and rightfully so. Dean didn't seem to trust her when it came to hunting, even though she was fully capable of handling herself. She'd hunted alone long before she met the Winchesters, yet Dean still treated her like a child. And finally, after years of being handled like a rag doll, Elena was fed up with it.

            "Keep your hands up. Don't let him get behind you," Dean instructs, causing Elena to roll her eyes. "I'll take the lead on this one. You just make sure he doesn't get out the back door."

            "Sir yes sir," Elena mutters, sarcasm dripping from her words. Dean pauses, glancing over at her momentarily before returning his attention to the Rugaru.

            "Alright, on my count. One, two..."

            The Rugaru looks up from his meal before Dean has a chance to say the final number. Cursing under his breath, Dean jumps out from their hiding place with the hope that he could still catch the monster off guard. Disregarding his half eaten meal, the Rugaru leaps up off the ground, meeting Dean halfway across the room.

            Elena can do nothing but watch as they collide, her feet planted in front of the doorway as she debates whether or not to obey Dean's orders. Dean was obviously losing the fight, his weapon already on the other side of the room. Elena was in charge of the blowtorch, but she slowly puts it down. One last blow to Dean's face is all it takes for her to make up her mind.

            "Hey!" Elena steps forward, dragging the monster's attention away from an injured Dean. "I'm sure I taste a lot better than him." Sending one last glance at a bloody Dean, the Rugaru stands and lunges for her. She quickly sidesteps it, pulling a knife from the inner pocket of her jacket.

            Elena gets several good slices in before the Rugaru is on top of her, tackling her to the ground and landing on top of her. She hears a horrid crunching sound as the monster head-butts her, blood splattering in her eyes. The Rugaru rears back, his teeth stark white against his grayish skin. Elena screams in preparation, but two gunshots ring through the air. The Rugaru barely even flinches, but the shots definitely got its attention.

            It whips around, releasing Elena as his eyes narrow in on Dean. Without warning it rushes for the door, a mix of fear and wild insanity pushing it out the door Elena was meant to be guarding.

            "Now do you see what you've done?" Dean hauls himself off the ground, smearing blood across his cheek when he tries to wipe it with his hand. Elena scowls at him, clambering up from the ground herself.

            "How is this my fault? You're the one who needed saving," Elena snaps, scooping up her knife where it had fallen. Scoffing, Dean simply heads toward the door without looking back. Understanding she's meant to follow, Elena grabs the blowtorch and jogs to catch up.

            The Rugaru didn't get far—it got distracted by a squirrel running up a tree. Dean and Elena are quick to take it down, Dean snatching the blowtorch out of Elena's hands to finish the job himself. Although it goes against every gene in her body, Elena lets him, knowing full well there would be time to argue about both of their actions later.

            The tension in the car ride back to the bunker tells her just that.

Author's Note:

Okay so just so there's no confusion, this is once again part one. I think the next three days are going to tie together, but I'm not sure yet so don't hold me to that if I change my mind!