Day Fifteen: In a Different Clothing Style

Time is a relative term. It isn't exactly linear, doesn't exactly follow all the rules people put upon it. It's a constant flow, a web of timelines intersecting and melting together. The next millennium isn't as far away as people thing, and neither is the 1800s for that matter.

            Select few have the power to bend time. Angels, for starters, considering they were the ones who helped God configure the so called timeline. A few monsters here and there feed off the energy of time travel, hopping from period to period whenever they wanted. Some of the older witches and warlocks, the ones who'd been around since the Big Flood, had the ability as well. They were more secretive with their powers, not risking it by dragging humans across the wavelengths.

            Time travel wasn't without its side effects. It left a type of residue, a coating that couldn't always be seen by the naked eye. It charged the air where the hop took place, a kind of charge that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. The products left behind can build up over time, too many time jumps in one place causing it to shift out of the normal timeline. Eventually, the time "junk" will create its own portal.

            "I can't believe I let you drag me to that movie," Elena says, laughing as they walk down the street in Salem. Ironically enough, they were here for a witch hunt, but Dean had wanted a little break. "You said it wasn't that gory."

            "No, I said the gore was fake. Which it was," Dean says, taking her hand. "That movie should've been a comedy."

            "That movie was terrifying! I hate zombies," Elena grumbles. Dean just laughs, kissing the back of her hand before a clatter comes from the alley on their right. "What was that?"

            "Stay here," Dean instructs, releasing her hand and sneaking toward the sound. Normally Elena would ignore him and follow him into the danger, but the images of the zombies are still vivid in her mind and she stays put.

            Dean disappears down the alley, the sound of his footsteps fading into silence. Elena stands on her tiptoes to try and see where he went, but he seems to have been swallowed by the darkness.

            "Dean?" Elena takes a hesitant step forward, worry starting to fill her system. "Dean? Come on. This isn't funny."

            Suddenly a loud bang echoes through the alley, mixed with the gruff scream Elena would know anywhere.

            "Dean!" Elena breaks out into a sprint, barreling down the alley in search of her boyfriend. "Dean!"

            Elena stops short, the sight before her breath away. Red. Pure red junk just floating in the air. It swirls and pulses, energy radiating off it. Elena reaches out, curiosity getting the best of her.

            BOOM!

            "Elena?"

            Elena blinks her eyes open at the sound of his voice, searching for those green eyes. Dean bends down over her, helping her up before giving her a quick once over.

            "I thought I told you to stay put," he mutters, running his hands over her hair and across her shoulders.

            "I heard you scream and..." Elena trails off as a horse and carriage passes by the mouth of the alley. "Who the hell uses that in the twenty-first century?"

            Elena pulls away from Dean, jogging to the street to watch it go. The dim light of the moon makes her squint at the odd sight, but she could have sworn there was more light on this street. Confused, she turns back to Dean just in time to step in horse crap.