Day Five: Kissing

Ten seconds.

            Elena's heart was hammering in her chest, thumping so erratically it hurt. She was sure Dean could hear it, hear how nervous she was to be standing this close. Every nerve in her body was on end, hyper sensitive to the charged particles between them. The air was so thick, pressing in and buzzing with electricity. It was so dense she couldn't breathe it into her lungs, the air getting stuck in her throat as she attempts to swallow.

            Why was she so nervous? She'd known Dean for years, growing closer with every passing second. He was her family now, her whole world. When her friendly feelings had developed into something more, she didn't know, but it was an easy transition. A smooth and constant fall into the abyss that was Dean Winchester. He'd finally caught her tonight, preventing her from hitting the ground.

            Nine seconds.

            Dean was shocked more than anything else, not understanding how someone like her could like someone like him. He'd always thought of her as more than just friends, more than someone he could just goof off with. He was having a hard time wrapping his mind around the fact that he was standing here, with her, just outside her bedroom door, and her lips were slowly getting closer.

            He was worried. Worried that his knees would give out and he would never get the chance to taste her. Or that the tickle in his nose would cause him to sneeze all over her face. What if he started laughing for no reason at all and she thought he was laughing at her? What if he chickened out at the last second and instead gave a little wave before walking away? What if—

            Eight seconds.

            Sam could come home any minute. He could see them, startling and embarrassing both of them. It would ruin everything, giving the two a few days to think things over. Did they really want this? Did they really want to get involved with someone in this life? Did they really want to stop being Dean and Elena and become Dean and Elena?

            They were both so independent, so head strong and stubborn. Maybe this was just a waste of time, a faze they would eventually grow out of. Maybe they wouldn't even work and they were just setting themselves up for heartbreak.

            Seven seconds.

            No. This was right. It had to be right. Elena hadn't felt this strongly for someone in a long time. The way he would smile at her, his eyes crinkling as he laughed. The way he listened to her, like nothing in the world was more important than whatever nonsense she was ranting about. Sometimes she would catch him staring, silently watching her when he thought she wasn't looking. He treated her better than anyone ever had, addressing her every need and always putting her first. She felt safe around him, comforted by the knowledge that he would protect her against anything.

            She knew she would be happy with him. There would never be a dull moment. If it weren't the thrill keeping her heart pointing, it would be his tenderness and kind eyes. Although he would never admit it, she knew he was a softy at heart, preventing him from falling into the pretty-boy stereotype.

            Six seconds.

            Dean was aware she wanted danger and excitement. Something to keep her blood pumping. He could give that to her. He could keep her spark burning and set her afire with love. He knew her inside and out, years of friendship giving him the knowledge he needed.

            They understood each other, seeing through the thick walls and accepting the darkest parts. They'd both been through hell, losing most if not all of the people they considered family. They'd pieced each other back together over the years, climbing out of the pit together until there was no longer anything in their way. They could do this, but that didn't mean it wasn't terrifying to take that last leap.

            Five seconds.

            Dean's hands won't stop shaking no matter how many times he tries to steady them. He suddenly becomes very aware of how sweaty his palms are, the sheen sticking to his fingers like glue.

            Four seconds.

            Elena closes her eyes, not trusting herself to keep going if she can see the look in Dean's eyes.

            Three.

            The slow motion Dean was experiencing stops abruptly, Elena now coming closer at a startling speed.

            Two.

            There was no turning back now.

            One.