Day Twenty-Three: Arguing

Part Two

            Dean storms through the bunker door, Elena hot on his heels. It had started several miles back, the tensions in the car tightening and compressing until everything had exploded. The silence had come apart quickly, disappearing as the car filled with angry shouting. Nothing of any substance had really been said, but they were just getting started.

            They were the type of couple that really knew how to fight. It wasn't a very common occurrence only because they were very good at covering up any discontent, but when an argument did take place, it was best to take cover. They were like bombs, taking out everything and everyone that had the misfortune of being there when they went off. It was toxic, watching them fight. It was similar to watching a train wreck, unable to turn away even though it was so miserable to see it all unfold.

            Dean and Elena had it down to a science by now. They new exactly what buttons to push, where to apply pressure. Everything always moved so quickly when they were going at it. They didn't miss a beat, sending out their next attack with perfect precision. People weren't kidding when they said the people closest to you could do the most damage.

            "You went against a direct order," Dean shouts, dropping his bags on the table before whirling on Elena. "I told you to guard the door and you did the exact opposite. What were you thinking?"

            "I was thinking you needed help! That thing could have killed you, Dean!"

            "He could have killed you too!"

            "I can take care of myself, Dean. I'm a hunter too!"

            "You're new. Fresh meat. You don't understand how dangerous it is. You don't understand what it means when you mess up."

            "Don't understand? In case you forgot, I was hunting long before you came into my life. I've got a sob story just like the rest of you. You don't have the right to treat me like a child!"

            "This isn't a debate, Elena! I'm in charge and I will do whatever I think is best for you and the job."

            "That's a load of crap and you know it."

            "The only thing that's crap is you making your own decisions without talking to me first, Lena."

            "But that's exactly what you do! Why don't you have to follow these stupid rules?"

            "Because these rules are meant to keep you from being reckless! You were careless tonight! You let him get away when it was your job to keep him in the room. Stop acting like a bratty teenager when you're the one that messed up!"

            "I'm not talking about the hunt, Dean. I'm talking about the fact that I am not a little kid anymore! I am not a child who needs your protection. I am an adult capable of being your equal."

            "Protecting you is my job, Lena! It's my job to keep you safe and out of harms way and I can't do that if you're running around acting like this."

            "Is that what this is about? You don't want to lose me?"

            "Yes, damn it! That's what it's always about!"

            "Well you have a funny way of showing you care, Dean, 'cause all I'm feeling is useless."

            "You're only useless if you don't do what I tell you to do."

            Elena stops, staring at Dean wide-eyed. He'd never taken it that far, never insulted her like that. Anyone else would have taken a step back, put things in perspective before going any further. Elena had too much pride to back down.

            "We're supposed to be a team," she hisses, clenching her fists so tightly the knuckles turn white. "What happened to that, huh? What happened to Team Winchester?"

            "Maybe you don't deserve to be a Winchester."

            Elena sucks in a breath sharply, shrinking back from his words. It wouldn't have hurt so badly if they hadn't had a similar conversation not too long ago, one that involved Elena formally becoming a Winchester. It had been quick and in passing, thrown out there by Sam. You two have been together forever, he had said, not even looking up from his computer. You're practically married anyway. Dean had shrugged it off, saying something about how Elena didn't really want to be a Winchester. It had stung, a little slap in the face that didn't really mean anything at the time. But now, seeing as Dean had obviously been thinking about it quite a lot, that conversation comes rushing back to Elena and brings tears to her eyes.

            "Hey, guys, is everything okay?" Sam steps into the library, peeking his head around a bookshelf to see if the coast was clear. "I heard you guys and just wanted to check in."

            "Everything's fine, Sam," Elena snaps, wiping at her eyes, ashamed that a comment that small could make her feel this way.

            "Mind your own business," Dean adds, sending a scowl Sam's way. Normally Sam would take his cue, bowing out of the conversation he'd just interrupted. But something about Elena's composure made him think better of leaving.

            "Elena?"

            "I said I'm fine," Elena screams, whirling around as if Sam had just committed some horrid crime. He shrinks back, muttering an apology as he excuses himself from the library.

            "Lena, I—"

            "Save it," she mutters, picking up her bags and hurrying from the room. Enough had been said for one night.

Author's Note:

I tried something different with the actual argument to make it seem more fast pace (like there was only dialogue) but I don't know if it came across or if it was just confusing...