Day Eleven: Wearing Kigurumis

Fabric.

            It always seemed to get in the way. The stitching would catch on everything, causing a tear to appear on the previously perfect article of clothing. Plenty of sweaters had been ruined this way, the string getting pulled and pulled until there was no saving it. Sweatshirts somehow always got stretched out, the sleeves growing in length until they were hanging off like snake skin.

            Girls nowadays had a new fashion sense, one that honestly didn't make any sense. Clothing went from being comfortable and casual to being tight and sexy practically overnight, the transition welcomed by the ones who got to look. Now jeans were too tight, hugging and grasping onto thighs to a point where it looked painful. Tops were now cut too low, revealing far too much creamy skin.

            It was a desperate cry for help. The too tight dresses screaming for the wrong kind of attention as they gripped to writing bodies. Fabric was now used for all the wrong reasons, never quite covering enough to make everyone feel comfortable.

            It was just fashion though. Just a phase the human race would eventually fall out of. Hopefully sooner rather than later the females would realize how silly it all was and go back to regular jeans and simple shirts.

            But as the years past, the hemlines got higher and the necklines got deeper. Suddenly v-necks dipped down to reveal a set of twins and dresses now needed spandex underneath. Booty shorts became part of everyone's wardrobe and people started wondering why other had ever been so modest. If you didn't keep up with the lessening of fabric, what was the point of even leaving the house?

            Kids were ridiculed in schools, the fad transforming into a cultural phenomenon. Fashion became more than a hobby, even becoming a career for a select few. The cost for something as simple as fabric skyrocketed, but it didn't stop the fashion boom that was happening.

            The worst was the mental blow. The feeling that you had to be just as pretty as everyone else, just as skinny. You had to keep up with the ever changing fabric, never falling behind. Your body was now what everyone cared about, how interesting and beautiful the cover of your book was. If you weren't up to par, no one would give a damn.

            Dean was no different in the beginning.

            He would stare at woman as they passed by, admiring the short length of their shorts. Booty shorts were probably his favorite invention, the idea of seeing more skin nothing but appealing. The lack of fabric made it easy for him to undress them with his eyes, a visual he and many other men loved to see.

            Fabric kept him interested. Girls were so teasing nowadays, so alluring and tempting. The skin he longed to feel was just barely covered now, giving just enough room for his imagination to run wild. He didn't understand what was wrong with it until he met her.

            Elena was different. She didn't go out of her way to draw attention and she certainly didn't care what other people thought. She dressed for her and her alone, using fabric to express herself instead of flirt. She didn't need or want anyone to look at her for what she was wearing. She wanted them to look at her for her.

            When Dean fell in love with this strange and amazing girl, he didn't understand it. He stopped caring about what she wore, stopped looking at her for the fabric on her body. He saw past the thin material and saw who she truly was.

            It didn't matter if she wore a skin tight dress for a night on the town or an unflattering, oversized sweatshirt to bed. It didn't matter if she was in his clothes, her newest find at a vintage store, or something as childish as a kigurumis—which she pulled out of her closet and put on during several drunken evenings—she was beautiful. He loved her no matter what.

            Fabric never had less of an impact.

Author's Note:

Okay I realize this isn't exactly what the prompt was meant for, but I thought of something and kind of ran with it. I hope you relate to it in some way or at least like it!