Chapter 19: The Cats out of the Bag

Brie's P.O.V

The apartment was empty without Remus to fill the gaps.  The laughs, or his jokes, everything about him filled the looming silence that was currently engulfing me.  Never before had I realised how much my life revolved around one person, how much I could rely upon one person.

Being left alone put me on edge.  I kept reminding myself that the multiple enchantments around our home meant I was safe.  I had to learn how to relax.

A few slow minutes passed with the only noise of a clock ticking away softly in the background.  I sighed and closed my eyes momentarily, enjoying the silence.

A sudden banging that thudded out into the silence, echoing into the empty rooms, awoke me roughly from my peaceful state on mind.  I jumped up into the air, looking around for the source of the noise, disorientated from the nap.  Only seconds had passed when a loud heavy handed knock rang out again from the door.

I froze, my eyes trained on that one spot.  No one ever called around here, Remus always left to visit them.

Maybe if I stayed silent and still they would leave thinking nobody was home.  Maybe they were just some lost muggle.  ‘On the fifth apartment floor?’ I asked myself silently.  My mind raced for reasons.

“I know you’re home, Moony!” boomed an all too familiar voice through the door.  I breathed a sigh of release.  That voice didn’t belong to a Death Eater.

As quietly as I could manage, I made my way to the wooden door and withdrew my wand, prepared for any sort of attack.  My breathing quickened as adrenaline ran through my body.  I knew I agreed to meet Remus’ friends, but by no means did I want it to happen like this.

“God damn it, open this door now!  It’s urgent!”  Another loud knock followed rang out, and then the handle rattled, as though someone was trying to open it.

It was obvious the figure behind the door wasn’t going to move anytime soon, so I was left with a decision – face him or leave him.

Leaving him could be dangerous, who knew what he would do.  The persistent banging was obvious that this could last for hours. I reminded myself that Remus would be home soon to sort him out and hopefully before he broke into the apartment.

On the other hand, facing him could be also dangerous.  I, an unknown witch, in the home of an Order member.  It didn’t exactly look trusting of Remus.  Then again, he could leave feeling satisfied that Remus wasn’t actually here.

I weighed my options quickly, then without thinking anymore on the situation, I pulled open the door in one swift motion.

“Excuse me?” I barely had chance to utter those words when Sirius made my wand fly out of my hands with a silent spell.

“W-who are you?” he stuttered in surprise.

I took in his dark appearance, his hair uncombed and eyes looking ahead with a piercing stare.  His clothes were dark, with his black leather jacket covered in droplets of water from the rain outside.

I ignored his question.  “What do you want?”

“What have you done with, Remus Lupin?” he asked a different question, looking as though he had gotten over the initial shock.

“Nothing, he’s out,” I replied simply, not wanting to cause any sort of commotion.

Sirius hadn’t changed within the last few years.  Appearance and personality were just the same as I remembered from my school days, if anything; he was a little less carefree.