Chapter 15: More Than Friends

I was meant to upload this chapter days ago, but I haven't had the chance to.

Also, I will begin posting character banners at the side of the chapter for character P.O.V's, because I changed the entire cast list to fit the young marauders.

Dedicated to Cassie because she always fangirls with me :)

The song at the side doesn't really have anything to do with this chapter, I just really like it.

Remus’ P.O.V  

The summer heat was finally beginning to cool off as the months turned to autumn.  I stepped outside and took a breath of the cold crisp air.  I didn’t like leaving Brie behind when I went to visit my friends, not when I could be spending that time with her.  I didn’t understand why she couldn’t be persuaded, it was as though she was afraid they'd judge her for what she was.  They didn't need to know her secret, it could be just ours.

I glanced at my watch which told me I was already terribly late and a guilty feeling bubbled in my chest.  Usually, I was always on time, but lately my mind seemed to lose track.

Walking through the door of my old home in Godrics Hollow, I realised that everyone was waiting for me.

“Sorry I'm late,” I apologised under my breath and pulled at my jumper nervously.  Sirius shot me a suspicious look from the corner which he sitting in, but I knew he didn’t know anything.

Dumbledore nodded his head in acknowledgement and closed his hands together looking down for a moment.  He was wearing dark robes, unusual for his wardrobe of pale coloured clothes.  “I have to start by saying I am sorry that this meeting is not a social one.  Last night in a battle, we lost one of us.”  The older man’s voice was engraved with sadness and grief, as though he had witnessed the entire thing.

My eyes quickly cast around the room, trying to figure out who was and wasn’t here.  The group of real Order members was only small compared to the size of the whole good side.  In my mind, things got jumbled, everyone I knew I was here, who was gone?

“Marlene McKinnon and her family fought fiercely against the Death Eaters, but they were outnumbered.”  I zoomed out of focus at the name.  From a distance I heard Lily sob for her dear friend from her time at Hogwarts, and then James comforting her.  Marlene had been a Gryffindor, the same age as me, and she wouldn’t have gone down without a fight.  I knew that.

The news had sent a shock to my system; I felt my face paling at the thought of an innocent dying at the hands of scum.  The entire McKinnon family wiped out for a cause that didn’t need to exist.  That was an entire pure-blood family gone because they were fighting for right.

“D-do you know who it was?” asked Peter quietly.

“Travers, he was caught at the scene and sent to Azkaban.  We suspect Lucius Malfoy to have been part of the gang, but the others fled.  We have no evidence,” Dumbledore said quietly leaving everyone to grieve for our recent loss in our own ways.  This was happening more often, murders, and then no trials or court hearings.  The ministry was terrified, they wanted to lock every possible bad magical person up to stop the evil from going on.

My mind repeated over and over, it could have been you.  That was the truth; it could have been anyone of the people I cared about the most.  Anyone of us could possibly not see tomorrow, just living our life one day at a time.  Thoughts of Brie slowly entered my mind again with the thought of murder.  I wouldn’t let it be us; I couldn’t let it be us.

A few people excused themselves and left the meeting to return home to loved ones, until eventually it was just a small group of us left.  I stared into space, letting my mind wander off in too many directions.  Dumbledore began to speak again to the remaining people, but I found myself not listening fully.