Chapter 12: A Light in the Darkness

The late summer light was slowly fading, the room getting darker making the words of my book become harder to read.  Part of me wasn’t reading it, my mind wandered to and from the person sitting near me. 

A sudden heavy knock from the door echoed in the apartment, interrupting my daydreaming and making me jump up in my seat.  Nobody ever knocked here.  My eyes found Remus, who seemed just as surprised.

“Who is it?” called Remus, taking out his wand, ready for whatever was on the other side of the door.

“Moony, it’s Padfoot, open up!” Sirius Black’s voice rang out.

I jumped up from my spot and hid just out of sight, withdrawing my wand in case Black made some kind of attack.  I heard the door creak open and Sirius spoke again, “Where have you been lately, mate?”

“Busy and I haven’t been feeling well lately,” Remus replied.  So he did have order meetings, he just hadn’t been attending them for some reason or another.

Sirius sounded as though he didn’t believed a word Remus spoke.  “Right,” he paused and I gripped my wand harder, “I have some bad news from Prongs, Mrs Potter passed away today.”  I didn’t need to see Sirius’ face to know how much this fact emotionally affected him.

“Really?” Remus asked shocked.

“Yeah, I need to go and tell others, I’ll see you at the next meeting, Moony.”

As soon as the door clicked closed I reappeared putting my wand away.  If Remus had sounded shocked, then it was nothing to how he looked.  The colour had drained away from his face, leaving a glazed over expression in his eyes.

I approached him slowly, “Remus?”

He snapped out of his thought and sent me a sad smile.  “I’m fine.”  I reached out for his hand and made him sit down.

“It’s okay, you know,” I sat down beside him.

“I know.  It shouldn’t be a shock, I mean she had Dragonpox and she wasn’t given long to live, but it’s just that, she was more a mother to me than my own.”  He took the cup of tea I had made.

“I’m here for you, always,” I smiled brightly at him hoping to cheer him up.  “Is there anything I can do?”

He considered my offer, and then spoke quietly, “Share my bed with me.  I just don’t want to be alone.”  His voice sounded close to breaking as he got to the end and his blue eyes swam with tears.

How could I refuse?  I couldn’t.

“Okay, but no funny business, agreed?”

He smiled at me, “Agreed.”

~          *          ~

Minutes later I stood outside his bedroom door wondering whether to knock or not.  After all, he was expecting me to come in.  I tugged down nervously at my pyjama shorts, wishing they were longer, but these were my longest pair.  Taking a deep breath I opened the door and was surprised by the blue walls.  The rest of the house was neutral colours, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Remus was already in bed, his chest bare.  I tried my hardest to not pay attention.

“Hey.”  His head snapped up at the sound of my voice.  “Can you, um, turn away whilst I get in?” I asked nervously, feeling silly for asking this, especially when I wore skirts and dresses with bare legs, but tonight I felt a little more exposed.