XV

Madeline's POV (Before accident)

I had know Nathan now for almost 5 months. And after the news with Melissa I had completely cut him out of my life. Once again I was in the same position to leave.

It was very close to the day I had planned to once again, move back with mom. Nathan had been calling me for a while now but like I said, I had cut him out of the picture even though how much it hurt me to do so. For a man who was independent he wasn't giving me much space.

My life consisted of meeting Barbara to plan her wedding since I was a planner and also catch up with Jake. Some work with my father as well.

I usually did meet up with Jake at his house and we'd talk like friends. I knew he wrote songs about me but I couldn't bare to bring it up knowing how he felt.

Unlike Nathan, Jake was easy to understand, almost Nathan's exact opposite.

But my mother and father were there for me and so were my friends. Still... Nathan was always in the back of my head. Even with writing and working my mind still wandered over to what Nathan was doing. No news has broken out that he was having a child which must have taken so talking to Melissa seeing how she was.

Surly people should begin to wonder since her baby bump was coming in unless she hadn't been modeling.

Anyways, they kept their love affair hidden from the public eye and my only person who could inform me was Barbara.

"Helloo? Maddie.."

Blinking a few times I directed my attention back to Barbara who was joining me at my house to discuss her wedding plans.

"Oh I'm so sorry," I looked back at our choices for catering.

"It's fine," she held my hand, "Nathan?"

"Yeah," I gave in, "Sorry. This is about you," I began to straighten myself.

Barbara gave me a 'are you sure' look and looked back to her choices, "Well I don't wang it to be so extravagant but I do want it to feature a wide spread of different cultural foods."

Bitting the pen I looked for the best option that had fit her request that was also in her budget.

"What is your husband's job?"

She crossed her legs and smirked. "He smoking hot firefighter."

My heart screamed with joy as I imagined the beautiful man that looked much like Superman. Now I had practically found a new man in my dreams that was much dreamier than Nathan.

"Wow..."

She smiled and began recounting her story to me, "We'll Nathan use to do some volunteer work at the fire stations and this was way back when I was his P.A," now she caught me attention even more, "So I use to come with him to these things right, and all these men were so dreamy and some older ones," she giggled.

She began turning pink as she thought of her fiancé which made me a bit sad since I desperately wanted her happiness and luck with men.

"Anyways one day Nathan and I went to gala type of thing or something along those lines were they all met up and raised some money. It was more of publicity for Nathan, so as he talked with the many companies thinking of investing and donating I spoke to some of the young, steamy bachelors."

Keep going...

"And this man with green eyes and beautiful brown curly hair was absolutely confused with what food o try. And the foodie that I am, I went over and helped him out."

"How sweet."

"Yeah," she tucked her hair and blushed again, "Then we just started talking and he was 5 years my senior and had gotten out of a bad relationship like 2 months ago. I totally respected him for bringing it up because I hate when they carry so much baggage. So, he knew I liked food so much that he took me to this thing were we try foods from all around the world and that was our first date."

"That's why you want the catering like this!"

"Yup," she teased, "I just want to bring this back to where it all started and that's why I have the past and future theme going on."

"That's so smart, Barbara."

"God I'm so sorry for rambling," she began to plead.

I rested my hand on her arm and comforted her, "It's totally fine, I know you have to relive some stress from wedding planning to so I want you to talk about this with me. Plus, it gives me more ideas for the wedding if I understand your guys' relationship."

That's when her phone rang and she saw the message from her sweetheart. "I think I have to get going," standing up she looked at her phone.

"Yeah sure," I stood up as well and walked her to the door. "So I'll text you about some other stuff remaining and we'll set up another meeting."

"Yeah, ok." Barbara grinned as she unlocked her car, "I hope things get easier Madeline."

She removed her sunglasses and gave me a sweet glance that proved that she really was there for me.

"Thank you! Bye!" Waving bye, I watched her drive to the man she loved and soon would call her husband.

Closing the door I met my loneliness once again. Even though I was capable of being alone, I couldn't shake the feeling of feeling absolutely alone. It weird how easily someone could get in that state of mind. I'm young and have so many chances yet I felt like I had one huge regret... I was missing something but I didn't know what it actually was.

Was it that I dated Nathan or that I left him for a mistake that many people could make.

But that didn't happen to anyone. It happened to careless people.

UGHH! I didn't care anymore, I just want to stop thinking about it!

*****

I was taking the bus home from dad's since I returned his borrowed car a long time ago. I wanted to get one last feel of New York. I had turned my phone off a while ago so when I turned it back on I had 3 miss calls from Jake.

Before calling Jake I had some weird ache in the pit of my stomach and it traveled to my chest. It lasted for a bit and left me with the same butterflies a child and sometimes adults get when they are with their significant other.

But like Nathan's calls I brushed it off.

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

A/N   Hey guys! Thank you SO much for reading and the comments/votes/follows/shares. I absolutely appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. We are finally at 1k reads and I couldn't have done it without all of you. This chapter was a bit short but it started out as a totally different one but I wanted to include a look into the single life of Maddie that we could possibly relate to...? Anyways I also wanted to expand Barbara's role since she will play into the story a bit later on. Anyways show some love to Maddie who needs it and a special thank you @QueenDuchesse for the wonderful cover. I will update soon so stay aware!

-Stace