XXVI

This was familiar. Nathan was driving outrageously as I held tightly to whatever I could get my hands onto.

The car was different and the circumstances certainly were. His jacket was stuffed behind him exposing his rolled up sleeves and button down shirt. His muscles had obviously gotten larger from last time. In a way I got fitter as well. We both had in some way gotten more attractive. Well according to Albert I was the same.

"Nathan, calm down." Grinding my teeth Nathan picked up his phone and handed it to me.

"Call Kyle."

"What? Why?"

"Just shut up and do it," he looked to me with seriousness.

"Geez!" Snatching the phone I looked up Kyle's name and gave him a ring.

"Speaker." Nathan announced.

Following his wishes I pressed the speaker and held the phone between us as he continued driving.

"Hey!" Kyle had answered cheerfully. They were proof that opposites attract, which led me to smile.

"Kyle I need to stay at your house," Nathan glanced at the phone then back to the road.

The sun was setting and I we were now going somewhere that also seemed familiar. It was seriously a déjà vu moment for me.

"Don't tell me-you went bankrupt?"

"Idiot," Nathan sighed and smiled! This was so weird and vaguely disturbing. How could he change attitudes so quickly?

He continued, "I need to use it. I'll tell you when you come back."

"Fine, I'll give Roy the O.K. Just don't mess with my stuff."

"Your stuff, are exactly the type things that I avoid and are not amusing at all."

"You have your "thing" or kink and I have mine. And if you did it with that girl... what was? Maddie? You would probably love to use my t-"

The phone was now going into Nathan's pocket without letting Kyle finish his sentence.

Feeling my face warm up, I wondered what he was speaking about and why he used me instead of Melissa. Surely he knew about his friend's case.

"Get your head out of the gutter."

"I didn't say anything. Or think anything. Why are we going to his house? This isn't right Nathan, I didn't do anything wrong."

"Madeline just wait till we get there."

"Why are you acting so weird. You've changed. Well sort of."

"And you have too. Well sort of," he mimicked me. Hearing him speak as me made me feel stupid, so I sat back planning my next move.

*****

Some time later after arguing over our destination we found ourselves in one of the same places that I visited with Nathan. The same dramatic stairs leading to the door and the large mansion brought back some interesting memories. Of which included my undeniable clumsiness.

Standing at the bottom of the steps Nathan stuck his elbow, "Hold on."

"Don't mock me. I know you aren't chivalrous."

"Chivalrous? Fine, then I'll treat you like a child." Just as he finished he reached out to my waist and hoisted me over his shoulder and began up the steps.

"Nathan! Put me down!"

Before he answered I heard a chuckle then a "No" and soon something brushed against my butt.