XXXIX

Madeline's POV

Oh god. I can't believe I did it. The journals had not prepared me for such a screw up. He must be confused... I'm confused! My heart raced in the bathroom as I sat on the toilet.

"Maddie?" Jesse called, "Did you come in?"

I regained my composure, or at least faked it, "Yeah! I kind of have to go home, I have some therapy tomorrow."

"Yeah? Ok," she easily agreed.

"Wait for me outside, I'll meet you in the front. Are you good to drive?"

It was silent then the toilet flushed and the stall door swung open, breaking the silence. "I'll call my hubby."

"Alright!" I had to leave, I knew this was not my best hour.

The exiting door swung and I knew she had left. I sighed heavily and reminded myself of what I had just done and what I had remembered. It was the first time Nathan had been so upset with me, or at least from what I could remember. It had also been our first kiss since the accident and now I was living the dream or as I should say, memory.

Fixing my myself, I quickly bolted out the bathroom and to the front of the club before Nathan could catch me. I knew that he would have some questions and I didn't feel like explaining. All he needed to know was that I was giving this a chance, despite how it killed me to try to move on from Jake.

It was for the best. Or I hoped.

*****

The following day, I began selling my things after therapy. I needed money and I wanted  to do it on my own. I had sold most of the things I owned except for some home appliances and bedroom things. I had gifted things away and donated. I was starting new and my father was in full support despite most of the things being gifts from him.

I just needed to finish sending some things out. Thanks eBay!

Having almost nothing to my name, I had to phone Jesse to help me take my things to FedEx to ship them off.

"Did you really sell your stuff?" Jesse asked as we loaded her car up.

"Yeah, I got bills to pay and things to do buy. I wanted to kind of start over with this clean slate."

"And you're sure," she had reluctance in her voice but I assured her. 

By the end of the day, my home was more spacious. Jesse and I sat in the pretty empty living room eating pizza and drinking some soda. And as I observed the empty home it seemed less like a home and more like a jail, I had hid and locked away things that were hurtful, but memories that I gained and those that remained were the most hurtful of all. Still, it was nice in a sense, an escape from my worries and life, but it wouldn't last forever, that I knew. I still knew that at some point I would have to confront Nathan.

But this time I would give him a chance despite the heartache. I guessed Jesse had noticed my solemness because soon she stood up and began to scream. The scream was not that of fright or anger, but for some reason reminded me of happiness.

"Listen to the echo," she smiled from ear to ear, her face a cherry red from screaming.

After some coaxing, I picked myself up and swallowed my pizza. I took a deep breath feeling my lungs expand and I let out a phrase, it just came out. I had just planned to scream but when I yelled I had motivated myself, I began to laugh as Jesse's eyes widened at my battle cry.

"Lets do this indeed, " she repeated. And from then on I explained to Jesse my plan, my trial with Nathan, but now we had redefined it. If I could not let go of Jake entirely and fall for Nathan again, then I would give up on both. She knew I wanted to give Nathan a chance and my heart a second chance as well. (Although I was giving my brain a much larger chance to remember).