XXXVI

A/N This song always kills me, especially this cover. Also, some scenes may be a bit sensitive.

I remember when I first saw her. I had not seen Melissa for a week, I think, I don't care anymore.

Maddie looked a bit like her but was totally different. I had recently turned 24, must've been a little over a year ago, maybe less...

She had a nice body. Her cleavage was average, her face shaped like a heart, rosy cheeks, and a derrière that she had to work to maintain.

She was appealing, but her character was clumsy, overshadowing her beautiful body. Sad to say, she most likely would be the girl that young boys would try to take advantage of, sad to say, I would too.

I came back to reality:

"Where is she," her mother called out to me and was joined by two others.

"I-I don't know," I sounded stunned, lost, something so alien-like to me. I couldn't function, her mother would have better luck talking to the doctor. I pointed in an area where they took her in.

Again I recounted what happened. I went over how they couldn't get her to breathe so they pushed a tube down her throat.

And quickly they all went, leaving me among the carnage and craze of the ER.

I hated hospitals. Hated them since my mother. Being here for myself was one thing, but being here for someone else was another. It smelled clean, sterile, unwelcomeing, I could always feel death.

I caught some French here and there but I sat, waiting. Waiting for when they would come out and tell me. I mentally prepared myself-

"Partner?"

"Boyfriend."

"Excuse my accent but I do speak English. Despite..."

"Nathan!"

A nurse had just given me coffee when Jesse was joined by Madeline's mom. The man was now gone.

"Anaphylaxis. She's very allergic to shellfish."

I was able now to breathe, I didn't know what to expect, other than a few cursing and grave news. But with this, she would just need medications and other things to deal with the allergic reaction.

I looked by Jesse who now sat beside me with Madeline's mother, each holding hands.

"They took her into surgery."

"Why," instinct finally kicked in. Was I fight or flight? I couldn't remember.

"When she fell she hit her head pretty bad, they're doing test and other stuff, but they said that they're gonna fix her head up. They found blood and swelling."

"And?"

"We'll just have to wait and see."

My hands involuntarily began fidgeting with each other. If anyone ever saw this back home, it could go two ways, I either would gain sympathy or gain laughs. Humans were cruel and I wasn't an exception.