[MBW]- Chapter 16.

Start from the beginning

I huffed in frustration.

"The stupid dress ripped and I already returned the old dress!"

She winced when she heard that but her eyes lit up a moment later.

"I have tons of extra dresses. You know my mom loves to always pack heavily in cases of emergency."

She promptly stood up and headed towards her closet which consisted of passing through a mini Olympics considering the number of items on the floor.

After a minute, she came out clutching about three different dresses. One look at them and I could tell they were all from this season's line of well-known designers.

"Here. Take your pick." She said and I shook my head at her.

"Van, these are all, like Givenchy and Valentino," I said as I shuffled through the dresses. They looked tempting since I didn't have them in my wardrobe but that was usually how we worked. She would take mine and I would take hers. 

"Really? I would never have guessed." She retorted, sarcastically.

She saw me hesitating and then reassured me that it wasn't a big deal. I knew it wasn't a 'big deal' but I didn't want to be the maid of honor that stepped out in a better, more expensive gown than the bride. It would be like I was trying to steal her moment — her thunder. While I knew Vanessa couldn't care less, there were people that would talk and I wanted her wedding to be associated with only positivity.

Realizing that I had no other choice, I looked through them trying to find something that would work for me. Despite being the same size, mine and Vanessa's choices were quite different. I opted for more darker and subtle shades but she liked bright colors that drew attention.

In the end, I picked a gorgeous red Roland Mouret One Shoulder Gown. It was an eye-catching red with an A-line skirt and a diagonal panel cut across the bodice. It might have been a bright red but the dress was so simple that it exuded a sophisticated aura rather than a show-off one.

I stepped out and was momentarily deaf when I heard Vanessa squeal.

"What?" I said and fixed the one shoulder that had been provided.

She bounced up and doing in her seat.

"You look so fucking hot, Char!"

She didn't care that her younger siblings were in the same room as she shouted profanities but that was one of the things I loved about her. She did what she wanted to without overthinking it, unlike me, and that was why she was able to enjoy her life to the fullest.

After I thanked her profusely for practically saving me from another mental break down she replied,

"No, but honestly this dress looks like it was made for you. I don't even want it back because there is no way I can wear it better than that."

A couple of minute of eyebrow plucking and nail painting had passed but Vanessa and I were finally ready. She was ready earlier than needed but I was late since I had to be down there to double check everything and make sure everything was in place.

Vanessa looked absolutely stunning in her forest green Elie Saab gown that matched perfectly with her slightly tanned skin. While I hadn't gotten a great tan, it was enough to not make me look pale. And, with the redness of my gown, it worked well.

"I need to head out, Vanessa," I said and hugged her briefly before letting her go back to getting his sisters together for pictures.

As I walked down the hall to get to the elevator, I could already feel my ankles dying from the size of these heels. I got a couple of strange looks during the ride down from the normal guests and I just smiled at them weakly.