Chapter 26: Elizabeth's Flashback

His hands ran up and down my back as I moaned into his ear; the scruff on his chin rubbing against my ear as he whispered into the crook of my neck.

"Beth," groaned as he pushed me roughly against the wall of the small cell. "Beth," he moaned again as his name made its way to my lips. "Daryl," I almost screeched, biting my top lip to refrain from making noise. I knew I was much too loud and I had promised to be as quiet as possible as long as we got to... uh, you know.

"Quiet," he whispered into my ear as I whimpered and shook beneath him, my body twitching crazily underneath his. I nodded, "I love you," I said softly, pressing my lips hard against his as he kissed me back.

Pulling away he muttered into my ear in reply, "I love you, Greene." His voice was so soft and I felt like if he wasn't holding me I would've melted from the roughness yet softness of his voice.

We rode out until we both finished then fell beside eachother, both of us gasping for breath.

"Daryl?" I asked, shaking his arm with my hand. He turned and groaned at me he didn't want to talk but I pressed further. "Daryl!" Finally he let out a heavy sigh and asked me what I wanted, kissing me slowly and sweetly after.

"I'm scared."

There was a long silence broken by Daryl's rough cough as he moved closer towards me and opened his arms as I wriggled into his embrace.

"I'm scared because its not certain we'll both survive. I'm afraid to sleep now, like the night we went outside, I'm really afraid."

He kissed the top of my head and pulled me slowly away to look at me. "Why are yu' afraid?"

I sighed, pulling him into my body as I felt his against mine. "I'm afraid to sleep. All I see is death and sadness and... they're nothing like they used to be, like I want them to be. I have so many worries and I'm so scared because I never want to lose Maggie or Daddy or Judith or you-"

His lips found mine in the dim-lit room we were lying in. "I'm never let anything happen to you," he promised. "I'll never let anyone hurt you ever, Elizabeth, okay? Because I love you so much and I would protect you with my life."

"No, please don't. I don't want you to die, please don't promise that," I begged, pecking him softly on the lips as if to tease him.

"Don't you dare promise me that, Daryl," I said, banging my small fists against his chest gently. "I don't want you to die for me or anyone or die ever."

I heard small whispers from outside slowly fade and then Daryl said, "It's inevitable."

Shaking my head, I replied, "But not now. You cannot die now because I need you more than anyone." I kissed his lips again, letting my body go limp as he held me against him.

"It's inevitable," I finally agreed as he sighed and pulled me closer, shutting his heavy eyelids and falling to sleep, his breath warm on my neck as I cried softly.

He didn't notice.