Chapter 51: A Porcelain Idea

"So, I really loved you?" he asked, voice gruff as he sat against the wall, eyes shining brightly in the dark.

Beth nodded at him, smiling sadly. She sat on the bed across from his, using it as a support much like him. "Well, I like to think so," she joked, voice becoming quiet. "I really loved you, Daryl."

"Do you still?" he said uneasily, working at a piece of loose skin on his thumb. She could barely make out his figure as the darkness surrounded them. "Do you still love me?"

She stood, ignoring the man's question. Black had overcome the prison and it was nearing almost midnight if she had to guess.

Beth stifled a yawn. "It's late, I should be going. I have an orphaned baby to look after and sleep to get. Listen, about my sister, she didn't really approve of us-"

"Is she glad I don't remember?"

Beth fell silent, shaking her head slowly without lifting her head to make contact. "Actually, she died not too long ago. She learned to live with it though, she was actually glad I had someone as great as you even if she never said it."

Turning for the concrete hall, she stopped, hearing his plea.

"Stay?" he whispered. "Stay just for the night."

The Daryl she used to know on that farm would never have asked that, he was too proud to plead a little girl to stay with him. He also would never have fallen in love with her but he did that too.

"Sure," she replied gently, turning back to look at him. "As long as you need."

________________________________________________________________

 "G'morning," Chloe sung, sitting down across my Beth. "So, I couldn't help but notice you were asleep in Daryl's cell this morning."

The blonde shrugged. "Hang on a sec, why aren't you hungover?"

"Pfft, I'm still drunk, sweetie. I'm as hammered as a... nail. Yeah, a nail. Rick's hungover though; I was still drinking this morning while he was being sick. I probably should have saved some wine cooler because we could have had a girly's drinking night but when it comes to alcohol, I don't know when to stop."

Beth smiled at her friend, watching her sip at a cup. "Chloe, is that alcohol?"

"I may have had a little left over," she admitted. "Never a bad time to get really fuckin' drunk. Not that you'd know."

Chloe shifted her gaze from Beth's face to Daryl, who was approaching the lunch hall from his cell.

"Lover boy!" Chloe practically yelled. "Grab a seat with us."

Daryl looked unsteadily at her, taking slow awkward steps before grabbing himself a bowl of soup.

"You scared him away!" Beth hissed quietly, watching her fiance in the corner of her eye.

Carefully he sat down beside her, still at an arms length away.

"So, Beth tells me you're hung like a horse and extremely good in bed? Is these true or is she really polite? Because I've been trying to find out. It doesn't look like you're hiding much in those jeans."

"Chloe!" the blonde scolded. "I never said any of that, and besides, you're with Rick so I don't think what is in his pants is any of your business.

Daryl shifted uncomfortably beside her, clearing his throat. He spooned some soup into his mouth, lowering his head as if to ignore them.

"Are you okay, Daryl?" she asked, moving to place a hand on his shoulder but thought better of it.