Chapter 4: Just Being Friendly

Beth held the gun confidently in her hand; Daryl's handgun he had given her for gun practice.

"You ready to go back to the prison cells?" Daryl grunted in question. Beth nodded. "Okay," she squeaked, handing him her gun clumsily.

He took it quickly and slid it into his belt, "You're a better shot than Carol," he said gruffly. Beth opened her mouth in shock, "Thanks," she replied sheepily, bowing her head. She felt a hand go around her neck and she froze, realising Daryl and her were alone. There was a brief silence as they made their way back to the prison.

"Thankyou, Daryl," she said sweetly, smiling up at him. He kept his hand around her neck and she shook as he pulled it back to his side, "You need a gun," he said, passing his gun back to her, "Keep it for now, I don' need it."

Beth nodded, taking it from his large, calloused hands. "Thanks," she repeated. Daryl nodded, "You're a good shot, I'll talk to Rick about taking yu'. If yu' want to go that is," he said, narrowing his eyes. Beth smiled at him, "I would love to go out, but dad-" she said, excitedly. "Dad said I can't go, after what happened yesterday."

Daryl scoffed, "Yu' can take care of yourself, girl, tell him."

She nodded, understanding Daryl's words. "I can?" she questioned softly. There was a silence as Daryl spat to the side, "I guess, what'd yu' want me to say?"

Beth shrugged her shoulders, "You sure you don't need your gun?" she asked, keeping her hand on it in case he changed his mind. He shook his head, "Nah, I don' need it, keep it, its yours now," he grunted. Beth yawned, covering her mouth with her hand. "Thanks, Daryl. For everything, saving me, taking me outside, the gun, the gun training..." she trailed off. Daryl stopped her by shaking it off, "No need to apologise, I was just being friendly."

Daryl held his crossbow over his shoulder. "You still believe in God? After all this?" he asked, motioning to the walkers surrounding the fence. Beth thought about it for a second and nodded slowly. "'Psalm 71:14: But as for me, I will always have hope'," she quoted. Daryl scoffed, "Yu' know that off by heart?" Beth nodded again, smiling at him. "I believe in God, I pray and I read the bible. I think that if you hold onto yourself in this... thing, God will find a way and prepare a path for you."

There was a silence as they made their way to the cells together. Beth was thinking about the hand around her neck and tried to push it from her thoughts. "Daryl?" she called to the older man who was striding ahead in front of her. He turned. "Yu' got something you wanna say?" he said gruffly.

Beth shrugged her shoulders, "God has a plan for you. You're a good man and he recognises that. The good go to a better place and the bad are sent into the flames, yet I don't see you going either direction. You've held onto your identity and haven't let this shape you. God promised the resurrection of the dead and he delivered, just... if you go on the run, without me, be careful," she said, softly yet almost forceful. "One day you'll fight off your demons and you'll be happy, God has planned that much." Daryl didn't say anything, he nodded slightly and turned to walk away.

Beth grabbed his hand and he pulled his away. "What are yu' doing, girl?" he asked. She looked up at him hopefully, "I was just being friendly," she replied, quoting him from earlier. Daryl considered it and then let her hold onto his finger.

She smiled as she made her way back to the prison, with the redneck's finger between her hand, she never felt safer.