Chapter 19: She Can Lie Like The Best Of 'Em

"Beth," Daryl mumbled softly.

The young girl's blue eyes opened in the darkness of the cell; her hand landing comfortingly on his right bicep. "Shh," she said quietly, "It's just a nightmare."

"Beth," he repeated loudly, flailing his arms desperately until they finally landed on the thin material of her shirt.

His eyes finally opened into a deadly glare. "Ge' off," he grumbled, pushing away her hand as she stared confused. "Daryl?" she whispered quietly, "Daryl?"

Grunt.

Rolling over in the small one-person prison bed, she pressed her cold back to his.

"Goodnight, Daryl," she said, hoping for a reply or an arm around her waist but nothing came. Beth couldn't help think what he had dreamt of as she drifted uneasily to sleep.

***********************************************************************************************************************

 Leaning forward with her eyes focused on Rick, Beth sighed loudly.

Would he be able to help her with the Daryl 'thing'?

They hadn't talked since the other night and he'd got mad at her that morning when she tried to wake him with a gentle kiss.

It made her wonder how she went wrong and what she did but nothing came to mind. There was absolutely no reason for him to be angry at her at all.

His dream.

The desperate tone in his voice that she replayed every second in her head and it made her mad at herself.

What had happened for that heart-breaking sound to come out? His helpless cry of her name as he slept with his arms flailing.

"Beth?" Carol said from behind the young girl.

Beth smiled falsely, "Oh, hi." The last thing she wanted was to talk to someone other than Daryl or even Rick.

"Sweetie, can you take care of Judith? I need to use the bathroom," Carol almost begged but seeing the shine in the baby's eyes, Beth reached out and grabbed the little girl in her arms. 

"Let's go find dad, okay? Or big brother? Aislynn?"

At the mention of Daryl's cousin's name, she giggled.

Beth rounded the corner and pushed open the heavy door to the prison courtyard with one arm. "Humph," she sighed as she finally squeezed through the gap she made for herself.

"Aislynn? Carl?" she called up to the tower trying to shield her eyes from the burning sun with her free hand.

After calling them again, she started to climb the stairs.

What could they possibly be doing? she thought.

Mounting the last step, Beth pulled the combined weight of herself and Judith into the fresh air at the top of the tower.

"Aislynn," she groaned, her arms tired as she realised how big the young baby was getting now.

"Oh," a voice moaned.

Beth widened her eyes in shock and turned away from the sight of Aislynn and Carl having... Well doing stuff.

"Aislynn," she called loudly and after some fumbling from inside the small room atop the tower, the door behind Beth squeaked to an open. "Yea'?" the girl asked.

Checking to make sure the coast was clear, Beth finally turned around. "Uh, Judith wants ya," she said embarrassed.

Aislynn nodded, "Please don' tell anyone about... Well, that. Daryl would kill me, right?"

Beth agreed with her and promised not to tell anyone, before descending back down the badly lit stairwell to the steady ground.

**********************************************************************************************************************

The run Glenn, Rick and Daryl had went on earlier that day was successful.

Meaning they found alcohol and a lot of it.

After their somewhat heroic return, Daryl took off with two bottles to his lone cell while Rick had Carl and Aislynn shared a "bitter" beer in their opinion. Beth couldn't help laugh at their reactions and once they finished their drink they were sent to keep watch.

Beth knew what they would get up to her but it didn't bother her that much. As long as they were careful.

"I'm going to bed," she sighed, picking up the bottle of pink wine cooler she was sharing with Carol. "See you tomorrow morning."

As Beth pulled down her shorts, ready to step into the shower, she heard the door open and screamed. Shielding her naked body with the sheet to her right.

"Rick," she acknowledged. "I'm having a shower."

He shrugged, "I know," he slurred, "I came to join you, Greene." Beth shuddered at the thought and shook it from her head, "Can you please leave?" she squeaked. He shrugged again, "I wanted you so bad before, I want you so bad right now. Come here," he said, his voice shaking as he pulled on his shirt and placed his solo beer on the ground near his feet.

Beth stepped back uneasily. "Please," she almost begged as his hands made their way to his zipper. He moved closer to her, naked, and pressed his body to hers.

Small tears squeezed from her cheek and she tried pushing him off her but he hit her against the wall harshly and began to nibble her neck.

"Stop! GET OFF!" she screeched, tears spilling from her cheek, "STOP!"

She let him pull the sheet away and bend her over as she cried and tried to scream for help but he clamped a rather large and shaky hand to her mouth. "PLIS," she begged through his hand. Before he could do anything his hand was pulled from hers.

Beth leant up fast, grabbed the sheet and turned, Daryl's blue eyes staring into her sadly. "Go," he shouted.

She grabbed her clothes quickly and took off to her cell, sheet flapping in the wind and clothes shakily in hand as she cried; thankful that Daryl had saved her.

As she laid in bed, she heard the door to her cell open and bracing herself for another attack, pulled the blanket close to her body but she heard that soothing voice whisper in her ear and a hand around her waist, as his body pressed against hers and she felt safer.

Safe.