Chapter 33: Where is Kane?

Helena's P.O.V.

"You obviously were expecting Kane?" Donovan asks as he drives off from my house.

"Obviously when he himself told me he would be picking me up. I did not get a message from him otherwise. Where is he anyways?" glancing over at him.

"Mhmm. Well, he had some, last minute business to attend. Before he left, he asked me to escort you to the party where he will be meeting us later."

I squint my eyes at him suspiciously. "Hmm, let me guess. He was too busy to pick me up because he has to go kill someone?" rolling my eyes assuming that is the reason why Donovan is here instead of Kane,

Donovan ignores me by raising the volume to the radio and begins to sing. "...talk to me baby...I'm going after this sweet craving, whoa-oh, Let's lose our minds and go fucking crazy, I-I-I-I-I-I keep on hoping we'll eat cake by the ocean..." turning to me as he screeches the lyrics.

My eyes widen. Shaking my head, I lower the volume.

"Hey, you never lower the volume to a gang member's radio!" shouting at me while pouting like a child.

"Really Donovan? Quoting from the movie 'Rush Hour'? I would have thought you would be more original." I quip crossing my arms in front of my chest raising my brow.

"I am very original, and I could not help it. Do you know how long I have been wanting to use that line?" grinning he shrugs his shoulder.

"I am sure you have. So, am I right?"

"Right about what?" glancing at me then the road.

"Kane, is he going to be killing anyone tonight?"

Donovan sighs. "You will have to ask him that later."

"That is a yes then." turning my head to look out the window I sigh. Why do I even ask? Usually when Kane has some business to attend to it means having to kill some unfortunate person that crossed him. I will never get used to it.

"Do not worry about it, Boss Lady. Business is business. You will see him soon."

"Do you think that is what I am worried about Don? I personally do not want to see him. Does it not bother you that he kills people?"

I watch Don sit up straighter. "I am already used to it." simply stating.

"Yeah, well I will never be used to his life. No matter what anyone says." turning to look out the window again we drive in silence until we arrive at the party. God, I wish I could be lying in bed doing nothing.

Donovan pulls up to a mansion by the water. It is a gated community and most of these houses are worth millions. No doubt this one is owned by some Drug Lord.