Facing Reality

Sue's P.O.V
Agh, my head. Where am I?

I'm slowly regaining consciousness but I'm wishing I wasn't. My head is absolutely pounding. I groan as I try to shift my arms out from under me.

"No! Don't move, he's coming! Lie still!"

I startle but listen to the panicked voice. The voice was male but not a deep male voice, instead it sounded soft like the whisper of the wind. Though, before I could make more out of the voice, I hear a door squeak open and the thud of boots as if they were coming down a set of stairs.

I become even more stone like if that was possible and hardly dare to breath. I listen as the steps get closer and closer until it stops seemingly right in front of me. It takes all my force of will not to jump when I feel a hand caress my face. A feeling of nausea and wrongness comes from the touch.

"Poor little bird," the stranger says. His voice was smooth with a deep baritone. "Soon you'll have to wake up and face reality."

A sudden rattle of noise causes the stranger to jerk his hand back. "Be still you retarded brat!," I hear him yell at what I can only assume was the voice I heard earlier. My thoughts are confirmed as I hear a whimper from the person as the man steps away from me toward the voice. I crack open my eyes to see which direction he goes.

He walks over to what looks like a bird cage. Inside the bird cage was what looked like a boy no more than sixteen with his arms chained to the side of the cage. The boy tries to shuffle away from the man as he nears and his whimpers increase.
The man's arm strikes out to slap the boy across the face then he grabs his jaw in a painful looking hold and says,"if you were anything other than what you are, I would have killed you a long time ago." Then he releases the boy and turns toward the stairs. I close my again quickly as he passes my cage and listen as he goes back up the stairs and closes the door.

I open my eyes and quickly sit up, swallowing down bile at the not so smart move. I know I won't be able to stand so I settle for crawling over to the side of my cage closest to the boy.

"Are you okay," I ask. Concern is clear in my voice as I get a good look at him. His body has lacerations all over it and his chained arms have small trickles of blood running down it.

"I'll live for now," his soft voice trembles out," my name is Eegren (ee-grin), what's yours?"

My heart seems to break a little as I hear his voice. How could anyone hurt such a small, innocent creature. My already growing hatred of the man grows tenfold. "My name is Susan," I tell Eegren," but you can call me Sue. Who was that man?"

"That weren't no man," Eegren growls," that man is the devil and is suitably called Mayhem. He an evil thing that's had me held in this cage for three years, but don't you worry none Sue. I've bidded my time down here to build up my strength. We're gonna get out if here. So long as he doesn't suspect anything," his soft voice levels out with a tone of determination. His body seems to glow as he talked. A soft orangish glow.

"What are you," I question.

He looks me dead in the eye and says," I am a phoenix. The last of my kind."

***A/N***
I did it guys! I made another chapter after over half a year! ...that sounds bad....but I made one!!!