Nineteen

The Survivors

It's been a month since the walking dead took over the world. Tucked away from what's left of society, you have been doing ok. The cuts and bruises that Sam's parents got in the fight for the cabin, have healed. At first, upset with their own actions, they were withdrawn and talked little. But, as realization that they did what they had to to survive sunk in, they gradually became their old selves again. Mostly.

During the day, you and Sam fish off of the nearby dock at the lake. Most days, you manage to catch enough to keep everyone fed. The electricity went off a few days into the ordeal, and hasn't come back on. Luckily, the cabin is equipped with a woodstove. Mrs. Smith boils water from the lake for drinking and cooks with the essential piece of equipment. When winter comes, it will heat the cabin. To that end, Mr. Smith has started a stockpile of wood that he gathers from the forrest.

This far out, you rarely encounter a zombie. When you do, you've become surprisingly efficient at killing it.

You rarely see other people, either. A few times, you caught a glimpse of a teenage girl dipping buckets of water from the lake. But she always disappears into the trees, back to wherever she's been hiding.

It's a little late in the season, but you all have decided that you should try to grow a garden. None of you have ever gardened before, so you're not sure how that will turn out. But at least you should try.

Mom never showed up at the cabin, and you are starting to come to terms with the probability that she never will. You know how bad it was in your neighborhood, you can't imagine the numbers of zombies that must have swarmed the city. It's likely that she never made it out of there at all.

As far as family goes, the Smiths treat you like one of their own. They have known you for years, and if you're going to live with anyone who isn't Mom, you're glad it's them.

You don't know how long it will be before society recovers. Or even if it ever will. The zombies that you do see, are becoming increasingly decayed. Slower, clumsier, and easier to kill. You hope that that means that an end to this plague is in sight. But until then, you all will do what you have to, to survive.

 But until then, you all will do what you have to, to survive

Congrats!!! You survived to the end of the story. But, don't get too excited... there's still an apocalypse going on...