Five

Warn Her

That is a person out there. You can't just sit by and watch her be eaten alive. Even if helping her may expose you.

You run to the front door and pull it open. Looking both ways quickly, it seems to be all clear, you dart outside and yell, "Lady, lookout!"

The woman turns around at your call, just in time to see the zombie closing in on her. She screams as she ducks around the slow moving monster and starts running your way. She's across the street and barreling toward you before the zombie can turn around. But when it does manage to swing its stiff form around, it starts following her. You back back into your house and wave her on. She bolts inside and with a breath of relief, you slam the door and lock it.

Panting, you get your first close look at the woman. Her hair is a wild tangle and her eyes are bugging out of her head. She's practically hysterical, sobbing and babbling about being chased by people who tried to bite her.

This woman needs to calm down.

She's making way to much noise.

"What's your name?" Maybe talking to her will help her to get a grip on herself.

"M-Mary." She manages to gasp. It seems to do the trick. Her eyes gain a little bit of focus and her erratic breathing starts to calm.

"Ok, Mary. We need to find weapons." You are worried about the fact that you revealed yourself. Yelling and running around in the open are sure ways to attract zombies. At least, that's how it works in that tv show you like to watch. You pull back the curtain and peek out. The zombie that tried to make a meal out of Mary is now shuffling its way up your driveway.

It's cloudy eyes are fixed on your front door, and you start to be able to hear the low moans and grunts coming from its gaping mouth. Bits of flesh and a river of blood cover its front. Apparently, Mary isn't the first person unlucky enough to come face to face with it.

You definitely need a weapon.

You run into the kitchen with Mary close on your heels. Looking around, you spot the knife set on the counter. You grab a solid knife and clutch it in your sweaty hands. Mary takes a knife, too, and you don't protest. She may need to defend herself.

Just then, a thud at the front door lets you know that the walking corpse has reached your house. You freeze, waiting to see just what the monster will do. It shoves against the door, rattling it in its frame, but luckily doesn't seem intelligent enough to target the window. Another low moan makes the hair stand up on your neck. It's one of the most horrible sounds you've ever heard.

You creep back into the hallway. With the curtain on the door closed, it can't see in. But you can make out it's silhouette and see what it's doing. It shuffles side to side and bangs against the door. Then, you can hear it sniffing loudly, before a low growl leaves its throat.

It starts frenzidly smacking itself off of the door and growls in a rabid rage. Wait, can it smell you in here? That would make hiding from them a whole lot tougher.

You look behind you and see Mary, frozen in fear, watching the zombie outside with unfocused eyes. This woman doesn't seem very well equipped for a zombie situation. Maybe it's all of the video games and tv shows but, despite your fear, you think you have a handle on this situation. As long as you don't get bit, you will be fine.

You check the clock on the wall. It's late afternoon now, and your Mom called some time ago. You hope she will be home soon, but realise that you will have to do something about the zombie who now blocks her way into the front door. If Mom comes home with that thing out there, she will be the next one in danger.

"Mary." You call to your new houseguest. "My Mom is on her way home. We have to get rid of that thing outside so it doesn't surprise her when she gets here." You look her way and see Mary, still in shock. Her expression has blanked and she's rockung back and forth slightly. She's not going to be much help.

You guess it's all up to you, then. You can't let your Mom get ambushed when she gets home. You need a plan.

You look at the knife still clutched in your hand. It's sharp, but are you strong enough to stab through a skull? Somehow, you doubt that that is as easy as the movies portray. If you are capable of that feat, you're pretty sure that you can easily beat one zombie. It moves so slowly you could probably run out and kill it before it really even reacted.

On the other hand, what if you aren't strong enough? Getting that close, and then failing to kill the monster, would probably get you eaten. Maybe the wiser plan is to try to lead it away? A steady jog is way faster than the zombie can go. You could get it moving away from your house, and then sprint away out of sight. Once clear, you could then return home. The zombie would likely be unable to reason and keep going away, clearing a safe path for your Mom when she gets home.

 The zombie would likely be unable to reason and keep going away, clearing a safe path for your Mom when she gets home

Fight the Zombie - chapter 11
Lead it Away- chapter 12