Four

Stay Quiet

Self preservation wins out. You keep silent. If you call out to that woman, you will draw the zombies attention to you and your hiding place.

Watching in a frozen horror, you see the zombie stumble up behind the woman. She notices it too late, and when she turns to run, it sinks its gnashing teeth into her shoulder.

The woman starts screaming again as she grapples with her attacker. It is in a feeding frenzy, gripping her with its remaining arm and biting viciously. Blood streams from the deep wounds. Finally, she manages to rip herself out of its grasp, and runs awkwardly away. With a single minded determination, the walking corpse staggers after her, her fresh blood covering its face and chest.

When they are both out of sight, you slump to the floor. Bile rises in your throat, threatening to choke you. Swallowing repeatedly, you manage to regain control of your churning stomach.

That was the most horrible thing you have ever seen.

This situation is serious. You need to think, if you are going to survive. First off, you need a weapon to defend yourself. So far, it's just you in the house. But that could easily change. You never thought until now just how easy it would be for someone, or something, to get into your home uninvited.

There aren't any guns in the house. But there are kitchen knives. You hurry to pull one out of the drawer. This will have to do, for now. You resolve to never be out of reach of this knife, ever.

Making a quick round of the house, you check that all doors and windows are locked. It's earily quiet outside, again. You know that that is false. You saw with your own eyes what is happening out there.

You've already decided that the house may not be completely safe. The doors are locked, but they have large glass panes. They won't keep you safe under a serious attack. You should consider the possibility that you will have to run.

Going back to the kitchen, you gather bottles of water, a box of granola bars, and the first aid kit into a pile. Adding another knife, you look at your work. It's better than nothing. Now you need a way to carry this. Your backpack comes to mind.

When you get to the place by the front door where you dropped your backpack, a shuffling from outside draws your attention. Heart pounding, you ease back a corner of the curtain and look out.

There's another zombie out there. It's on your front steps, sniffing at the air like a dog, and weaving back and forth. Dropping the curtain, you grab the bag and back carefully away from the door. In the kitchen, you keep one eye on the door, and the outside menace, while you load your supplies into the bag.

You can see the silhouette of the monster outside. It has come right up to the door and stopped. Swaying on its feet, it growls lowly, but doesn't try to get inside. Maybe if you stay silent, it will go away.

Luckily, you muted the tv earlier. Creeping back into the living room, careful not to make a sound, you watch the news footage. It's bloody and seemingly unreal. More like watching a horror movie than the news. Except it's really happening.

Mind churning away, you try to figure out your next move. Mom said to stay here and wait for her. When she gets home, she's sure to have an idea of what to do next. And besides, you don't want to be alone. Right now, alone is scary.

Glancing out the window, you see that the zombie is still on your front porch. And, worse yet, he has company. A second zombie, this one looking like it's been dead for more than a day, has joined the first. The two of them shuffle around by your door, growling and sniffing the air. You hope that they can't smell you in here...

If they do know that you are here, they aren't likely to leave. So far, they aren't testing the door, but that can't last forever. And it troubles you that there are now two of them hanging out at your door. If more continue to come, they could surround you, blocking your path of escape.

Maybe you should go now, while you can. But, where too? You don't want to be alone. Your best friend immediately comes to mind.

He lives a couple of streets over with his parents and little sister. If you knocked on their door, would Sam's family let you in? Is it possible to walk that far without encountering a zombie?

Running your hands through your hair in frustration, you look outside again.

There are five of them now. Three are right by the door, with two more wandering up your driveway. Alarmed, you know that you need to make a choice fast.

Bug Out - chapter 7Wait For Mom - chapter 8Go To Sams House - chapter 10

Bug Out - chapter 7
Wait For Mom - chapter 8
Go To Sams House - chapter 10