Two

Kill Mary

You can't risk it. Mary is a threat that must be eliminated, and soon. You have no idea how long it will take her to turn. Minutes? Hours? Either way, she will turn.

Your hand inches toward your knife. Standing up, you casually sweep your hand over the knife and walk to the door with it firmly in your grasp. You look outside for a minute, pretending to check for zombies. In reality, you are trying to work up the nerve to actually kill a woman who hasn't done anything to harm you.

Stabbing an undead monster is one thing, killing a human, another.

You turn around... and Mary is gone. Whipping your head around, you try to find her. She isn't in the room. How did she get up and leave without you hearing her?

Concerned, why would she sneak away like that, you inch your way out of the room. "Mary?" You ask as you go back towards the front of the house.

She doesn't answer.

A new thought hits you. What if she's turned already? Having a zombie roaming around your house would be bad. You are depending on the zombies staying on the outside. A zombie inside the house makes your chance of survival slimmer.

You need to find Mary and finish the job. For your own survival.

You creep into the living room and search for her. She doesn't seem to be there, either. The downstairs bathroom is similarly empty. You are tiptoeing towards the steps to go upstairs when a faint click from behind you causes you to swing around.

A burning pain in your abdomen catches you by surprise. You look down, and see a large kitchen knife, held in Mary's shaking hand, buried to the handle in your body.

Confused, you look up. Her skin is a disgusting grey tone, clammy and somehow looks wrong. A fever burns behind her eyes. Behind her, the hallway closet door stands open, a door that you are sure was just closed when you crept past it.

"I won't die without a fight." She whispers to you, a manic gleam in her bloodshot eyes.

Groaning, you sink to your knees. In your plan to eliminate Mary, you forgot one crucial bit of information.

Mary has a knife, too.