Fifteen

Use The Tree

Sometimes... you just have to do, what you have to do. And, right now, you need to go behind that tree.

You look all around in the faint early morning light, looking for zombies. The forrest is thick, and you can't see far, but it looks all clear.

"I'll be right back," you tell Sam as you open your car door. Clutching your knife with a sweaty palm, you hurry to the unfortunate tree and duck behind it.

You've been back there for less than a minute, when a creepy male voice sounds near the car. "Hey there kiddos."

The hair raises on the back of your neck. Somehow, that voice is so wrong. Peering around the edge of the tree, you can see a scruffy man, waving a gun, talking to Sam. Even from this distance, in the still semi dark, you can tell that the gunman is the kind of filthy that only happens when someone hasn't bathed in weeks. He snarls menacingly, and Sam gets out of the car, pulling his crying little sister behind him.

Sam glances your way, but then snaps his attention away from you. Probably afraid of giving your hiding spot away. You watch, momentarily stunned, as the gross stranger herds your friends around to the back of the cabin.

This isn't good. You have to help Sam and his family. But that guy has a gun, something that none of you posses. And gun trumps knife, every time. You will have to be careful.

Sticking to the cover of the dense forrest, you slowly work your way around to the other side of the cabin. Once there, you are unhappy to find that there are three men and a woman, all just as dirty, laughing as they sort through the Smiths belongings. Sam and his family are all face down in the dirt, hands bound behind their backs.

After watching for several minutes, you think that you know what is going on, here. This group of strangers has been holed up in the cabin. And you all walked right in, unawares. They seem violently inclined, but so far, you've only spotted that one gun. If you could just get your friends family free, you all stand a chance of surviving.

The sun continues to climb in the sky, and before long, birds are chirping all around you. The gang finishes their exploration of the contents in the bags, and gathers up the stuff that they intend to keep. Laughingly, they fling anything that they don't want into the trees, before filing back into the cabin.

Your friends are still laying in the grass, bound, but at least they seem mostly unharmed. You watch the cabin for a few minutes, but none of the strangers show any interest in their captives in the back yard.

Heart about ready to thump right out of your chest, you know that you need to act now. Leaving the cover of the bushes you have been hiding behind, you sprint across the small yard. Dropping to your knees next to Mr. Smith, you use the knife you are still clutching in a bloodless hand to saw through the silver tape around his wrists.

As soon as you are done, you move down the line. Mr. Smith jumps up unsteadily, now you see the profusely bleeding gash to his head, and rips the tape from his mouth. By the time you have frantically freed the whole family, he seems steadier on his feet.

Leading the way, you dash back into the trees. Once sufficiently into the trees to provide cover, you collapse, panting wildly. The adrenalin rush is wearing off, and you start to shake.

Gasping, Sam has dropped next to you. "I knew we could count on you." He pants as he thanks you. Mr. Smith is leaning against a tree, looking decidedly sick. Mrs. Smith is holding her still crying daughter, her own eyes tearing up. They all send you grateful looks.

After a few minutes for you all to calm down, Mr. Smith tells you, "We can't stay here. It's only a matter of time before they notice that we're gone. "

You agree with him, but where will you go? The cabin was supposed to be your safe place to hide. If not there, where else is there? And what about Mom? The note you left for her will lead her straight to those criminals.

"Mr. Smith..." You start slowly, unsure of how to exactly proceed. "I think that they only have one gun. Maybe we should fight to stay here. "

He looks at you like you've lost your mind, but Sam comes to your rescue. "I agree. We need to stay here. If we have surprise on our side, we can beat them."

"Kids." The adult looks like he doesn't want to hurt your feelings. "We can't fight with those people. None of us know how to fight. And, I'm guessing, that they do."

"But, where exactly are we going to go, if not here?" You question him.

When he doesn't answer right away, you know that he doesn't have an answer. The cabin was the only plan. Without it, you all are adrift.

"We should stay and fight them, but be smart about it. Make a plan." You insist.

You can see the indecision on Mr. Smith's face. Looking at Mrs. Smith, you find the same there. They are reluctant to fight, but don't know what else to do.

Sam, on the other hand, seems whole heartedly on board with you. He already has a determined look on his face.

"Ok, kids. What exactly to you propose?"

You outline your plan to him in an excited voice. When you are done, he's again looking at you like you are crazy.

"I don't know..." He hedges. "That sounds really risky."

"Life is risky, now." You tell him. "I really think that we need to stay here."

Run Away - chapter 17Execute The Plan - chapter 18

Execute The Plan - chapter 18