Eleven

Fight the Zombie

Leaving the safety of the house doesn't seem like such a great idea. Besides, Mom could be back at any time. You need to be here when she gets home. Looks like you are about to find out if you can actually take down the undead.

"Mary, I am going to step outside and kill that zombie..." She gives you a horrified look when you say this. "My Mom should be home soon. I have to get rid of it before she gets here."

You wipe your sweaty hands on your pants and grip the kitchen knife tighter. Slipping out the back door, you sneak toward the front of your house. The zombie is still there, smearing blood all over your front door.

You look behind you, checking your back, and creep closer to it. Just as you come within a few feet of the zombie, it seems to sense you. Swinging around in an alarmingly smooth move, the zombie growls, bloody drool dripping from its chin. It lurches your way.

You've never stabbed anything before in your life. You hesitate. And the monster crashes into you. It snarles and snaps it's teeth, trying to get close enough to bite you. Panicked, you shove it back and swing wildly with the knife. You slash the things face, but the knife bounces off of the skull beneath, and it keeps coming.

The smell of dead flesh coming off of it makes you gag, and you nearly throw up that sandwich you ate earlier.

It grasps at you with its one remaining arm. The bloody stump on the other side swings your way as if trying to grab you, too. Lucky for you, it's one handed grip, while alarmingly strong, isn't enough to hold you to it. You jerk yourself free and jump back.

Now, you have the room you need to fight. You are guessing that a head shot will be the only thing to take this monster down. You have to find a way to stab this zombie in the face.

That's it! The face has areas that would be vulnerable to your knife. The creature has lurched towards you again, growling rabidly. You back up and switch your hold on the knife. It's now or never.

Aiming your strike, this time, you lunge towards the zombie and feel the blade scrape its way through the eye socket, and into the brain.

The zombie instantly slumps to the ground, dead for real this time. Breathing harshly, you look around and jog back to your back door. Mary is waiting and pushes it open for you. She slams the door and locks it. Still shook up from the fight, you collapse into a kitchen chair.

Mary sits next to you and after a few minutes, you regain enough of your calm to look at her. You're surprised by what you see. Mary is deathly pale, her eyes sunken in. She looked bad when you went outside, but now, she looks terrible.

Beads of sweat roll down her face and she grimaces in pain. Concerned, you ask her, "Are you ok?"

Shaking her head, Mary pulls up a pant leg and looks at her own calf in horror.

Leaning down, you look too, and freeze. There, previously hidden from you by her jeans, is a circular bite wound. The skin around it is angry and inflamed. And a thin green pus oozes down her leg.

Mary was bitten. And from the rapid way she is deteriorating, it won't be long before she turns into a zombie.

There's a person who is about to become a monster in your house. What should you do? Your thoughts spiral out of control. She's infected, and about to become dangerous.

You eye the blood soaked knife that you dropped on the table. You could act now, put her out of her misery, and in the process, take care of your own problem. She's going to die soon, anyway.

But, can you do that? Can you kill a living person? That zombie outside doesn't count. That man was already dead. Actually attacking this woman, who seems nice enough, would be an evil thing to do.

 Actually attacking this woman, who seems nice enough, would be an evil thing to do

Kill Mary- chapter 2
Show Mercy - chapter 3