13

Nash

I go through the trees, jumping over and ducking under.

I brush some of the debris off of me, stepping out of the dark area and into the bright sun-shine.

I shield my eyes, squinting, letting them adjust as I walk slowly on the short dirt road.

I look around as I continue, seeing the forest still surrounding me. I smell ash; a burnt smell... It kinda stings but it's not so strong.

I look up ahead, seeing a slightly burnt-up cabin to the left of me. I take my knife, and go over to the cabin, slowly stepping up onto the creaky, broken porch. The roof of it leaks, dark spots on the floor.

I take caution walking around, seeing as I could actually fall through this porch floor and I don't know how deep it is.

I see the left windows broken; the glass as well as the boards that was protecting it; burnt to crisps. I pull out my flashlight and go over to one of the windows, shining my flashlight inside the dark room.

I see furniture rearranged, some on the left slightly burned. Picture frames broken and glass scattered. Burnt up fireplace... Some bones poking out as well; dead, burnt up walkers.

I turn my flashlight off, going over to the front door. I jiggle the doorknob, and the doors opens up, it's hinges creaking once it's fully open.

I step in, gripping my flashlight. Some of the sunlight peaks in, but only half of the room.

I step on something that breaks, and I look down, raising my foot to peak under.

Picture frame... I pick it up, careful of the the broken wood.

The family smiles, three kids; two boys, one girl. Both boys older than the little girl, and she has the biggest innocent grin on her face that makes my lips curve up into a smile.

I put the picture down on the little ledge of the fireplace, propping it up against the wall.

I glance once more at the picture, reminiscing on what I dreamed of myself to become.

I go over to the closest doorway, gripping my knife again.

The room is burnt up to ashes... Corpses laying together on the floor - some still alive and moving around in the orgy pile. The right corner of the room is broken; crumbled, the slight breeze blowing a bit of the ashes away.

-

I search the room, as well as the rest of the cabin, finding nothing useful but a large sweater, and a thin blanket.

Of course, I leave the blanket, but I'll slip the sweater on before I go, the sun less than an hour before setting.

I need to find somewhere else to stay before I freeze my ass out here and/or get eaten.

-

I'm still walking and dark is already taking over.

I've walked straight on this dirt road, only passing by open vast fields of tall grass and wheats.

I take my flashlight, turning it on to shine it on the path in front of me.

The rocks casted shadows, making it seem like they were tall-miniature mountains.

I lifted my light, and it took my a moment to process it. I see someone standing in front of me, standing still; hands at their sides, mouth agape, and their eyes on me.

My hand goes to my gun, resting on top of it as I keep my light on the man; he appears strangely pale, and his hair wet and clamped together like thin strings.