7

Cameron

My knife ran through the skin, allowing me to scoop up and rub the scent on my cloth.

I put some on my face and in my hair, covering most of my body.

I strap my bag on my back, slipping the cloth over it.

Taking a deep breath, I calm my nerves, and step out into the horde of walkers.

Their movements don't stop; they continue moving, continue munching on my old group members.

'I couldn't save them... I tried saving all of them, but I didn't save any of them.'

I shake the thought, and slow my walk to a pace matching the walkers.

I slowly get through the crowd, seeing the familiar faces I just saw a couple hours ago, walk around lifelessly with the rest of them.

-

I make it out the crowd, and take the vehicle one of my group members left behind.

I close the door, and check my pockets for the keys.

'Fuck.'

'WHERE ARE THEY!?'

I grip the steering wheel tightly, attempting to calm myself down.

Taking a deep breath, and look around the concrete for a shining pair of keys amongst the endless feet of walkers.

I carefully open up the door, and it creaks.

'THE ONE FUCKING TIME!'

As I bite down on my lip, I step one foot out, and I hear metal cling together quickly.

I jump a bit, and move my foot, looking down to pick up the car keys.

The walkers attention is finally on me and I quickly start up the car and rush out with a couple more tries of starting up the engine.

'Wait... Where do I go now?...'

-

As I drive, I take looks at the signs... Passing sign, after sign, after sign.

I take a look at a large, torn down sign propped up by a tree.

"Safe Haven Santana. SHS, sanctuary for those who survive.'"

Reading the sign out loud, it sounds strange... 'It's weird how everything is labeled now. Pets would have people names, hurricanes are named after people, cars are named after people...'

I chuckled, and turn right as instructed by the sign.

The road shocked me at first, making me stop the car immediately.

I pulled the key out, stopping the engine.

As I opened up the car door, I saw one of them right below my feet.

-

I tried not to step on it, seeing how fresh the slashes and spilled guts are.

I stepped out the car, checking the rest of the bodies in-sight.

"How the fuck did this happen?..." I said to myself, looking on to the couple dozen more bodies up ahead.