Chapter 42

My arms swing and my feet land with heavy thuds as I fly down the empty hallway. Where is everyone? I don't remember this hallway being this long when I came.

The crashing of glass startles me and I look back over my shoulder. No one has stepped out of Cole's room. No one is chasing me.

I can't stop though. It's only a matter of time before one of them emerges. The more distance I put between me and that room, the better.

Before I can even get halfway down the hall, an elevator dings and opens to reveal Darius and several other warriors crammed in it. They all run towards me, a mob of burly men dressed in all black.

Did Cole link his pack warriors and order them to stop me?

I don't care what they say or do, I 'm not staying here. No chance in hell.

My heart thuds in my chest as they get closer. Swallowing my nerves, I ball my fist and pump my arms harder.

A few guys fly past me, not even glancing in my direction. My luck runs out though when Darius skids to halt. Cutting off my path with his bulky body.

"That guy, the one that was following us, is here." He says breathlessly, eyes scanning the area around us before landing back on me. "On this floor, you need to leave." He tells me.

His team of about ten guys has stopped as well. Dressed in all black, they wait for his orders. The bulletproof vest strapped across Darius's chest doesn't alarm me nearly as much as the metallic gun clutched in his hand.

"Did you hear me Jaden?" His oddly light voice asks, pulling me out of my daze.

"Yeah," I nod at him, pointing in the direction I just left with no intention of ever going back. "He's in the room with the open door."

"Okay," He replies, before nodding at the other warriors. A silent command to find the guy and finish the job. Tucking his gun into the holster, he gestures for me to follow him. "Come on, I'll escort you home."

"Nope -" A voice interjects from behind me. Darius and I turn to find Tom with his own vest and gun. "I got it man."

Darius gives him a curt nod before heading down the hall, following the path of his team. Loud banging and yelling radiate from the room, but I dare not look that way.

"What the h.ell did I miss?" Tom asks, eyeing my clothes.

"No time." I urge and begin running towards the glass crosswalk. "Let's go."

"Fine," He huffs and follows. "But once I get you off this property, you're telling me everything."

"Deal."

We make it out through the hospital without being stopped, though we do receive a few curious stares. I stumble a few times thanks to my need to keep checking behind me every few seconds.

I just need to get out of here. This place has brought me nothing but heartache, embarrassment, pain.

All in one day.

The sight of the glass door brings some relief. My panic lessens the closer I get to it. But we still have to get to the car.

As soon as I step out of the clear door, a wild summer wind blows around me. Whipping my hair in many directions. The wind carries a smell that definitely doesn't belong out here in the middle of the woods.

An ocean breeze.

Eric.

My eyes frantically search the parking lot for the owner of the scent and I quickly spot his black Mercedes as it pulls in. Could this get any worse? The last thing I need is for my royally pissed off mate to meet my fiancé.