Chapter 18

A bell chimes as we step through the door of the old fashioned diner. The sound of chatter and plates clattering fills the air as we look for a seat in the slightly crowded restaurant.

Eric and I sit at a corner booth and start scanning the laminated menu.

Sitting in the worn booth is like taking a step back in time. This place is only a few miles away from my  old home and is one of the few restaurants to eat in this area. Exactly the same as I last remember it.

 Cracked red leather booths, tall chrome bar stools, smell of fresh waffles, food orders being hollered to the cook. I spent countless days here having waffles with my parents or giggling with friends. That's before everything started to change.

*********FLASHBACK*************************************

Our laughter filled the diner, earning us a warning glare from Joe, the owner.

"Shhh," fighting to hold a fit of giggles. "Be quiet before he puts us out.... Again"

My friends burst into another round of laughter. No cares in the world. Maria, Tammy, and I had each other's backs.

No matter what.

"This is my last warning girls", Joe booms before heading back behind the counter.

"He is such a buzz kill," Maria says while popping her gum.

"I know, he needs to chill." Tammy's squeaky voice chimes in.

Our waitress comes over and places three waffles in front of us. The smell of bready sweetness is amazing and causes my mouth to water. We all say thank you before she walks away.

Digging in, our conversation and giggles are momentarily silenced. I tug at my Tommy Hilfiger shorts hoping to make more of a barrier between my legs and the cracks in the worn  leather booth.

"Soooooo are you guys ready for tomorrow?" I ask my two besties, hoping they catch my meaning. Tomorrow is the Annual Pack Dance, almost like a senior prom but for high school wolves belonging to packs in the southern region. It's like a last ditch effort for us to meet our mates before we start to head out into the world.

"H.ell yes!" Maria says wiping her mouth with white paper napkin. "I mean we have already picked our outfits ,shoes,and makeup. Plus we are going to do each other's hair. We're still meeting at your place right?" she asks and I nod in response.

"I just can't wait for everyone to see the dresses we picked. Not to  forget how many HOT guys are going to be there!!!" Tammy says in a sing song voice.

"Oh snap! Especially those hunks from the Whistling Wind pack!" Maria swoons.

Looking back and forth between them, I shake my head.

"I need you two to focus, geez. " I scold them both. I always have to be the level headed one. "Aren't you guys a little nervous, scared, or whatever that you may meet him?" I ask wiggling my eyebrows.

Confusion covers both of their faces. I wait  for the light bulb to go off in their heads.

"The Whistling Wind pack?" Tammy asks unsure.

"No" I exhale. They can't be this dense. "Your mates, you losers". I say playfully. "This is the first year all of us will be able to tell if its him"

"Oh" They both exclaim at the same time.

"Sure -I mean, I guess so." Tammy says looking between me and Maria. "I've just never really thought about it. If it happens, it just happens." She finishes with a shrug.