Chapter 5: The First Day

The Following Monday

Normani's POV

A loud beeping noise went off at the front of the room and I shot up in bed. A tennis ball was thrown across the dorm and crashed into the alarm clock, silencing it.

"DINAH!" Lauren shrieked. "You just broke my alarm clock!"

"No I didn't..." She grumbled, rolling over in her bed and pulling the sheets over her head.

Ally came out of one of the two attached bathrooms fully dressed.

"What time is it?" Camila asked, climbing out of bed.

"6:00," Ally answered.

"School doesn't start til 8!"

"Yeah, well there's five girls in this room and two bathrooms."

"ME FIRST!" Lauren shouted, sprinting into the bathroom. Dinah snagged the other one and Camila, Ally and I were left alone. Ally wouldn't look up from her phone and Camila was already half asleep again.

"Your turn Camila." Lauren told her about twenty minutes later. So far today, Camila was the only one Lauren was actually being nice to. I guess the effects of last night wore off.

Ally's POV

Camila and I were the only ones in the room after Lauren went to get breakfast. Dinah and Normani were still in the bathroom.

"Ally?" I didn't look up. "I don't want things to be awkward. I know it's probably weird to have a girl like you." Try two girls. "But I really do like you."

"You don't even know me." I reply.

"But your beautiful and determined and-"

"You don't know me." I repeated. "How can you like me if you don't know me?"

"Ally, you can't push me away."

"Well, I can try can't I?" I looked over at Camila's bed where she was sitting and she looked a lot more hurt than I expected her to. "I'm sorry," I mumble.

She shrugs. "It's not like it hasn't happened before."

"I'm just not used to this..."

She nods. "That's understandable..."

"But," I sigh and squeeze my eyes shut before I spoke my next words. "I think I'm going to give you a chance."

I heard her gasp and she ran over to wrap her arms around me. "Thank you, Ally! I promise that you won't regret-"

"You can't tell anybody."

She pulled away and I looked her directly in the eyes. "What?"

"I...I just don't want anyone to know, okay?" She nods again and sits next to me on my bed.

"Is there a reason?" She asks quietly.

Of course there was a reason. There were many reasons actually. I didn't want Normani to find out for one: who knew what would happen if they got into an argument over me. And I didn't want anyone to know that I was dating a girl. It would ruin my reputation...even though I left most of it in Texas..."I just...I need to get used to this, okay?" I finally answer.

"Okay," she smiles at me and gently presses her lips to my cheek before going back over to her bed. I ran my fingertips over the warm spot on my face and then buried my head in my hands. This was going to be harder than I thought.

Dinah's POV

I had my first class - English - with Normani, and even though we weren't exactly friends yet, we paired up for the first assignment. We were supposed to write our first impressions of each other, "get to know one another" and then write about our second impressions. If we had to be completely honest, I knew that we would both be writing some pretty unpleasant words. She pulled her chair closer to my desk and we started asking each other questions. Once we finished the assignment, I decided to ask her the one thing that had been on my mind since I met her. "Normani, are you-"