Chapter Seven

THE FLAMBOYANT GAY BOY

Tuesday

when i first walked in with caleb, i noticed the diverse group of people. the first girl, with short black hair and a frail and small frame, whose name i later learned as darcy. a blonde girl with dark eyes, and black clothes, named alexandria or lexi. a boy with black hair, and olive skin, who is named calum. and the most prominent, a boy, alex, who had brown hair and light freckles. he was stunning. the way his light blue eyes looked afraid yet courageous, made me ponder.

later in the the night, it had gotten colder. we pulled out blankets and i was sharing one with alex. he and i talked for what seemed like eternity. eventually, the two words i hoped i would hear from him came out: "im gay." i was flabbergasted that a boy this beautiful and kind was gay. but, nevertheless, he kept his distance for the beginning of the night.

as the air grew colder, we moved closer and closer together. he started to look tired and eventually fell asleep on my lap. not wanting to disturb him, i picked his head up and moved out from under him. and laid beside him, spooning. his warmth radiating into me and mine into him. i was on cloud nine.

but that changed. such a diverse group of people must have something in common to draw them near each other. i see that caleb is awake and on his phone. so i text him :

alex : how did all of you meet?

caleb : it's a long story.

he then proceeded to tell me about how they were all going to commit suicide on friday. when i learned of the news,
i wept against the back of alex's shirt. i just net this wonderful man but yet i am so close to loosing him. the man i have grown to love.

the next morning, i am awoken by a moving alex. waking up next to him is something i could get used to. i sit up along side him and slide my hand to his jaw.

"alex monroe kessler, although i have known you for only thirteen hours, i have felt enough love to last a lifetime. i love you." i say.

"i love you, too. tyler joseph sabinoski."

and with that i lean in and kiss his lips passionately. he tastes of booze and vanilla chapstick. a lovely combination. we pull apart with swollen lips.

"come with me." he says.

we stand and he takes my hand and leads me to a bench by the lake. because it is the morning, the lake and the area around it is covered by a thin layer of moisture. the kind that is cold and makes you skin tingle.

he and i sit on the bench and talk. i learn his backstory, about his parents, about him. he learns about me.

about an hour later, we walk back and find that everyone had left. i look to see that a note was left from caleb to me. it reads:

you and alex stay away. tell him to give you a ride home. be safe and use protection kids. with love : caleb xoxo

i giggle at the joke.

"hey, can i have a ride home?" i ask alex.

"sure" he says.

i call my parents and tell them that i am getting a ride home with a friend.
we saunter to his car and climb in. the heat is turned on and we immediately warmup. alex starts the car and we pull away from the lake.

soon we are sitting at a red light. the light turns green and alex's car lurches forward. suddenly, i see head lights coming towards us, and the last thing i remember alex throwing himself in front of me.

three days