XLIV

A transmission was detected a week later. Within an hour, a message was received, from a man called Lor San Tekka.

He claimed to be the one the transmission was sent to, and General Organa believed him.

She decided to send Poe to retrieve it.

Before he left, he was briefed on what would happen.

"Lor San Tekka is a follower of the Church of the Force, an underground group of non-Force users who essentially worship it. He received it from a point in northern Jakku, and went south to a little village. He is awaiting your arrival."

Poe smiled grimly at his general, gave a little salute, and climbed up into his X-Wing.

"Alright, BB-8.  Set a course for Jakku," Poe said, flipping switches and preparing to fly.

He gave a jaunty two-fingered salute to Pát, who smiled, then took off.

About thirty minutes later, he was flying over the sandy planet, his mother's home for so long, years ago.

The sun was beginning to set when Poe landed in the village.

An old man rushed out to greet him.  "Poe Dameron?"

"Lor San Tekka?"

The man nodded.  "I am very glad you arrived before they did."

Neither had to mention who "they" were, they both knew.

"Come in, come in," Lor San Tekka prompted.

Once inside the hut, the old man began to bustle around.  "Do you want anything to eat?  To drink?"

"No, thank you."

Poe sat down. "Why did Luke send it to you?"

"Old friend. Jakku isn't too different from Tatooine."

Lor San Tekka sat down across from the pilot, holding something in a closed fist.

"The Resistance is grateful to you for protecting this piece."

"I've traveled too far and seen too much to ignore the collective anguish that threatens to drown the galaxy in a flood of dark despair. Something must be done; whatever the cost, whatever the danger. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force, and all will be given over to the dark side.*" Lor San Tekka juggled the thing in his fist from hand to hand.

If Poe hadn't trusted him before, he did now.

"You used to be a mercenary?" Poe asked.

"Yes. These days I can only do so much. Would that I could do so much more." He sighed heavily. "And there is so much more that needs to be done."*

The pilot nodded. "We are trying to do it."

The old man sighed, and motioned for Poe to hold out his hand. He did.

Lor San Tekka took the man's hand and placed something in it, slowly folding his fingers over.

"This will begin to make things right."

*Copied from Poe Dameron (the comic)